View Single Post
Old December 15, 2009   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I remember well the time quite a few years ago when I first actually saw a Brandywine at a small farmers market. My great anticipation upon picking it up was that I was in for a real treat, as this was, from all I had read, supposed to be THE tomato that would take us back to years of long ago back in the early to mid-sixties.

Even back then, tomato fanciers were a unique breed. I was first introduced to them when I worked at one of Atlanta's most successful family nurseries. I digress. In those days times were a changin and the tomato fanciers were split between those older folks who worshiped names like Rutgers and the somewhat younger generation of those who loved the new kid on the block, the Big Boy. I'm almost sixty now, but I relished many a great tomato sandwich with rich acid bite that was the perfect contrast to Hellmans mayo. Times were simpler then.

I studied that Brandywine, bought it, took it home, cut into it and took my first bite. Like much that has changed since the mid sixties, this new tomato being the example of the most delicious tomato in America left me wondering...."This is it?" YUCK! But, some years later I found some seed for a Brandywine and planted it. After some struggle, I got these "heirlooms" going and actually got a few fruit, but mostly blights that withered the vines to all manner of yellows and dead browns. For many years thereafter, I swore off heirlooms as a class with my notions, reaffirmed by occasional sample of odd yellow and striped fruits and there it was again..that same mealy, sweet, bland, oddly shaped fruit that ever entrenched my prejudices.

This year, my efforts supported by several of you wonderful folks, I will try again. Perhaps by now "old time flavor" has actually become something other than a marketing term...rather like "organic"!
I have had similar poor results with the Brandywine varieties over the years. Starting seed, setting out, tying up, watering, and spraying, only to have them die from one disease or another before producing any edible fruit. This changed when I was able to get two fruit from Brandy Boy two years ago followed by around a dozen from two good plants last year. The flavor was phenomenal. The seed is an exclusive hybrid of Burpees and if they are not sold out, I highly recommend you try them. You should probably plant several in different places in your garden and at different times. Try to get a couple in really early and then a couple more a few weeks later. That way you will usually get one or two that do okay and if you get more than that, consider yourself lucky. I have never been able to keep one alive past mid July but that is usually long enough to give me some great tomatoes. Brandy Boy is so good it will have a place in my garden every year from now on. I am going to try Cowlick's this year with high hopes. I would love to find a OP version that can survive our heat and humidity with it's accompanying diseases and pests.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote