View Single Post
Old December 9, 2009   #22
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
What does good? JD or Wyches?
TomatoDon,
I'd have to say it depends on the year. In the past Dr. Wyches yellow has produced a great tasting tomato for me that had a unique bite to it that actually lured me back, constantly. This past season they just didn't live up to previous seasons, but many of my favorite tomatoes were disapointing this season , due to the cold wet weather. they were bland and watery. To put it frankly, this year-"The Doctor was out!"
JD's Special C-Tex, which was planted much later was the other extreme...it was fantastic! This past season was my first time planting it but certainly won't be my last. The only blacks to do better were Amazon Chocolate and Dana's Dusky Rose, but each had it's own distinctive taste. All three will be in my favorites listing for a while now, perhaps Amazon Chocolate a bit more as it has done well in both wet and dry years now.
It would be quite difficult to choose one over the other on a normal year, but if going by this past year alone...JD's Special C=Tex without a doubt!
I had a friend that I had sent seeds from Dr.Wyches Yellow this past season, that had one of her plants produce pink tomatoes, that she said were delicious. She has sent me some seed back from it and I'm looking forward to trying it this coming season to see what it does. Who knows?
So if you have the room, try them both, if not try one this year and the other next year. Good luck with whichever you decide to go with!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote