View Single Post
Old December 8, 2009   #14
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

with an eye fixed firmly on the future.

I'm glad you think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I forgot to tell you that a newbie seller at any market often gets the "cold shoulder" until he's known by the customers. Customers often have their favorite vendor even when another vendor may have sthe same thing at a better price. The only exception I've seen is when the newbie has something in demand that no one else has.

Good point - more reason to behave 'correctly', I'm sure.

It also sounds like maybe you aren't on the peak selling time for plants. If you are early, then that's great. We always have 2 or 3 early markets where we do more talking and handing out of flyers than selling. If by some chance you are late in the season, then it might be tough going for this year til you have the fruit to sell.

I think that the 'Early Bird' rush is negated over here by the fact that we have tomatoes in the shop 365 days of the year. What we do not have is an heirloom tomato...at least in any of the supermarkets, and some people have already shown interest in these.

It would be nice to put together a single page fact sheet about heirlooms in general, to hand out each week and thus create my own market, but my knowledge is still a little sketchy. (That's changing, mind!)

That market has some strange hours too. Ending by 9 AM and only 3 hours. Hardly worth the time to get all set up.

Yeah, particularly with the distance involved. Not ideal...

At my market I have to leave early because I have to be there before 6 AM and it's a 2 hour drive for me. I usually try to get there by 5:30 so I have more unloaded and set up by the time the "dailies" are allowed in. (I have a seasonal stand) Then the market runs til 2 PM, tho often vendors are leaving by noon as they will be "sold out".

Hubby's Sat market runs from 7:30 to 11 AM. A bit short in time but only 5 miles from home. Over the years it has become a really good market too, even tho the hours are short.

I guess people in your area must be used to getting up a lot earlier than folks here in the states. At least on a Sat, people here like to sleep in.

I guess. It was packed by 06h30...

As far as my truck and the carts go, my original carts were the "wire shelve" types you find in restaurants a lot. Some are also in office supply stores too. Some of the plastic fit together types can also be fitted with wheels. Or if you or a friend are handy with a welder, you can build something simple with angle iron. I've seen all kinds of home built stuff at my market. Stuff built to fit the persons vehicle.

While my truck has a lift gate that helps a lot, one of our older trucks didn't. We built a ramp out of 3 2x4s. You put 1 flat and then nail the other 2 on the sides upright. Get then a length that makes pushing them up and down not too hard. You need 2 of them and if you can add a metal plate on the end that hooks into a slot in the truck it helps but isn't totally necessary.

Years ago before we had the racks when we had only about 50 tomato varieties and 80 hot peppers it would take 4 of us over 2 hours to get set up. Our boards on the shelves in the truck became our shelves at the stand. Sorting the varieties was also a big part of the problem.

Yeah, too much time spent on preparing and too little on selling, eh?

Now with the racks, the plants are where they belong from the start. It take the 2 of us about 20 minutes to get the stuff out of the truck and all in place at the stand. While the new racks cost $200 each, it was well worth the price in time and labor savings.

Until you are better established and have more varieties tho, look for whatever type of shelf you can to help you out.

That's the tricky bit! LOL! My eyes and my wallet and not in alignment!

Carol
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote