View Single Post
Old December 6, 2009   #8
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The way I see it is that since the 70 day potatoes were forming tubers, however small yet, and the tops frozen back....the plants will likely recover with new sprouts just below or at the soil line. The new vines will grow for another few weeks but the yields and tuber size will be disappointing. Since the skin of the tubers are still in the slip stage they may still grow a bit but perhaps with some misshapened tubers, knobs, etc., and some of the growth will be on brand new tubers at the soil line. If you just had three more weeks without the freeze your yield would have be several times higher.

I can grow some very early potato varieties that are 45 day types, but most potatoes at the 70 day mark are just beginning to bulk up some tubers, and the tubers you have will be mostly egg size. Those plants that don't regrow will harden off the tubers and set the skin but they will be of low gravities. Nothing wrong with that but they may not store as well as fully grown tubers.

Looking at the weather data for Corpus Cristi, Texas reminded me of when I grew potatoes near McAllen, Texas on the Rio Grande back in 1969-1970. Hardy potatoes will regrow from a frost or hail but weak plants will just mature off. You are going to get some temperatures up around 77 soon and not a night of freezing temps for the next 15 days. If you look at the data I posted at the end of this message, follow it along to see if I am right that you will see regrowth.

Quote:
Potato tuberization is adistinct reproduction strategy which involve the sensing of the photoperiod and generation of a signal in the leaves , the subsequent transport of the signal , and the response in a distant organ, the vegetative meristem, or stolon tips (also called tubers)

The short days will hurry up additional tuber set or growth if the temps hold up.

Tom Wagner

Saturday, Dec 5

Warmer with increasing clouds
Low: 46 °F
High: 51 °F

Sunday, Dec 6
Warmer with a passing shower
Low: 54 °F
High: 66 °F

Monday, Dec 7
Rather cloudy with a shower
Low: 61 °F