View Single Post
Old December 4, 2009   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

You are right about people appreciate you at least trying to communicate in their language. Even if all you know are the "polite" words. My Spanish is horrible, but I can get by in simple sentances. Spanglish is more what I speak. That's bad Spanish mixed liberaly with English when I can't remember the word I want. But I also know just a little bit of Arabic and Russian and you would be surprised at the smiles I get after a sale when I say "thank-you" in their language.

OK, save yourself some time and headaches and load the plants the evening before while it's still a bit light. That way you aren't as likely to break those large plants in the dark.

I know what you mean about transport room. I have a 16 ft box truck with a lift gate on the back. We have 6 nice racks on wheels that we put the plants on and plenty of other not as nice racks to fill the truck. Sounds like a lot of room but it really isn't with all the varieties I sell.

Several years ago I calculated how much I could put in the truck in various sized containers. At the time we were growing a lot in gallon pots. But I couldn't get anywhere near as much $$s in the truck as gallons as I could in 4 inch pots. There is also the possibility of selling more of those smaller less expensive plants than the great big plants.

Last year the price of diesel here about doubled and it was costing me $100 - 120 / week just for the trips to market. I planted in slightly smaller pots that year rather than raising my prices. The reason is I'm also competing with growers that are coming from only 1/3 the distance so don't have all the fuel expenses as I do. The customers don't care about that, just your quality.

Now we do a bit more of a mix of sizes. More BIG plants early and really late. More of the small plants thru the main planting season. The big plants early is obvious. Late is for those that have procrastinated but still want a garden but think maybe they are too late. The big plants help them catch up.

Good luck,
Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-11-08_1602.jpg (94.2 KB, 65 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote