View Single Post
Old November 8, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
Hey Blue,

Thank you for that great indepth end of season pepper report! There are a few that we both grow, but some are now beyond my heat tolerance these days. (I use to win hot pepper eating contests, even in Mexico, in my 20's, but the the next 30 years have made me weary of sitting on a bowl of icecream for the next few days afterwards <grin>!)

Oh yeah, the infamous Ring of Fire. Been there, singed the toilet paper.

Quote:
So, after more personal anatomical information than you ever wanted, I'm always in search of good sweet/spicy peppers and would value your input. To give you a reference point; I favor Beaver Dams, Krimzon Lee Paprika, Balloons, New Mex Joe Parker, etc,. I still enjoy my Jalapenos(4 types), anchos, cayennes, serranos, etc,. for grilling, and smoked chili powder, but still in search of the ultimate sweet/spicy to sweet/medium peppers. Any suggestions?

I'd try some of the baccatums, like Dedo De Mocho, Pilange, or Guyana . Most baccatums have this really nice fruity taste. Some of the C chinense seasoning peppers might interest you as well. Trinidad Perfume has a, well, not sweet flavor, but really tasty nonetheless. And of course, Almapaprika, which I left off my list (along with the Cherry chocolates.) If you decide to try the Almapaprika, let them get ripe. They take forever because the flesh is so thick, but your patience will be rewarded when you bite into a bright red one.

Quote:
As far as just sweet... I agree that the Giant Marconi is hard to beat for fresh, stuffed, smoked, and on the grill! I also like Sweet Pickles, Red Marconi, Corno Di Toros, Blushing Beauty, Napoleans, Jimmy Nardellos, Burans, Romanian Rainbow, and Ashe County Pimento.
Bell peppers don't grow very well around here without some spraying, and I try to do as little of that as possible. I've found I much prefer the pimentos and Italian peppers, anyway.

Quote:
Have you perchance grown any Boldog,Bullnose, Wrinkled Old Man,Tomato,Hungarian Spice Paprika, or any of the others that are suppossedly sweet and spicy? If so what are your thoughts on flavor?
I've grown Boldog Hungarian Spice, but it was a few years back, and I can't access my garden notes from then until I get my new computer, my sister loaned me her old one until my new one gets here, and I don't want to load it up with a ton of stuff. I grew Tomato Pepper this year, it's in the notes for the new peppers.

Quote:
PS What does "Evil Yellow Jelly Bean" mean?
http://www.chileplants.com/search.as...Button=Pressed
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote