Thread: Micro-organisms
View Single Post
Old November 4, 2009   #53
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by igarden View Post
the recipes.

i think it's what is used to make the EM/BIM. one is trying to collect the 'beneficial' organisms from one's area.
The growth media that is listed in the articles that I read, with the possible exception of milk, and I'm not sure about that; are not specific enough to inhibit the growth of potential plant pathogens. There is no way, in the process that has been described in the articles I read, that possible contaminates can be excluded. The conditions described would also be favorable for staph, e coli, and listeria bacteria to proliferate, which I don't particularly want to spray on plants I will be eating.

Quote:
one other thought..." buying EM negates the whole purpose of EM - the intent is to culture indigenous micro-o's that nuture plants in your particular enviroment - buying EM will get you micro's from wherever it was manufactured."
No it doesn't. Buying effective microorganisms insures exclusion of pathogens. It doesn't even really defeat the purpose of beneficial indigenous microorganisms, it simply gives it a commercial twist. Which, you know, folks were defending up thread.

Quote:
the milk is only used as a catalyst to separate the serum from the product. the leftover solid product can be placed in the compost...i do not drink milk either, tho use it in cooking.
No, the milk is a growth medium for the lactobacilli. I believe the process is the bacilli multiply and convert the lactose to lactic acid. The acid then causes the milk solids to coagulate and separate from the serum. The problem is, as Ami mentioned up thread, that there are a lot of different species of lactobacillus. How do you determine which one you have, and if it has the beneficial properties you're seeking?

What I'm gathering here is that you guys don't really understand the science well enough to explain it, and that it would be best to pursue answers elseweb.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote