View Single Post
Old September 22, 2009   #71
~Duane~
Tomatovillian™

Regarding how much to use discussed above.

I do not use it sparingly and neither do the Record pumpkin holders.
I use the mixture above at every transplant. I mix it in the soil before seeds are planted, at transplant into cell packs, at transplant into larger containers and then again at transplant into the garden. I completely dust the root ball at each transplant and then add some to the hole prior to placing the plant. More than a teaspoon when transplanting into the garden.

For Giant pumpkins I also use liberal ammounts of these products at transplant and then throughout the time I allow vines to grow. During vine growth I place a large pinch of it at all nodes which are buried throughout the season.

I get AMAZING root growth. During peak growth you can see the roots everywhere under the canopy of the pumpkin plant.
I do not walk in my garden without something down to distribute my weight so that a minimal amount of roots are harmed. last year I pulled one root up from a pumpkin which I followed sixteen feet before I broke it off at about the diameter of a pencil. I also pulled up a root from last years record tomato which I followed for twelve feet.
~Duane~ is offline   Reply With Quote