View Single Post
Old September 10, 2009   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
I just noticed this thread, but wanted to say virtually all my Nootka Rose had scapes this year, out of 15.I didn't check that close, I just removed them. They were smaller and thinner than hardneck scapes.

Bulb size is much bigger than last years. Of course that is because they were planted last fall (mid-late October), while last years were planted in spring.

i grew nootka rose for a couple of seasons. sometimes they did put up a scape but most did not. the scapes are quite a bit shorter and thinner.

i decided to not grow nootka rose again and maybe you'd want to investigate this too. while NR keeps a year they are small bulbs with small cloves with lots of tiny interior cloves. i spent quite a bit of time emailing http://www.wegrowgarlic.com out in wisconsin. they are great! i found out that NR is a silverskin variety but another softneck that will also store a full year and has larger cloves, less tiny interior cloves and larger bulbs is an artichoke variety called Chamiskuri (they are sold out now). here's a description -

(artichoke variety) Long storing, large bulbs. Originally from the village of Chamiskuri, Chobi Province, Megrelien Region, Republic of Georgia. Gatersleben #K 6035. Averages 13 cloves per bulb.

so if you grow an artichoke vs a silverskin variety you will get that long term storage, larger cloves with less tiny interior cloves and a larger bulb. just a thought for you. while they are out of chamiskuri they may have other artichokes in stock. they are very friendly and helpful.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote