View Single Post
Old August 29, 2009   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, it's a taste thing I was searching for and that recipe nailed it as best as my aging taste buds can remember. The main thing is that I'm happy with it. Salsa's and Picante's literally have thousands of variations of the recipes used.

Tom, I think the cummin may be a primary key to the flavor I was looking for. The other key ingredient seemed to be the distilled white vinegar I used. It was actually Walmart's house brand. I'm going to tweak a bit here and there to see if any refinement is warranted. I'll try the cummin seed and see what happens.

Duane, I've tried a few of those tins. We have a large Hispanic population here and the stores have well stocked cultural aisles. It's good for finding some of the ingredients for traditional dishes and add authenticity to a dish. My problem there is that of the 5 different ones I've tried, none are an exact match. But I'll keep looking at any different ones I find. Ingredient lists are very helpful.

Red, Golden Yellow, and Green Salsas. You just gotta think outside the box cause sometimes you find a nugget.

Ted - who is off to the store to get more Nacho Doritos and plain Tortilla Chips.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote