View Single Post
Old August 26, 2009   #4
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn and Craig,

Thank you for your kind response.

After 9 years of renovation, we have *finally* moved in to our pre-1868 era home last December. I celebrated this spring by manually busting sod on a 25' x 40' garden, bought heirloom seeds and filling it with Brandywine Suddeth, Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, Riesentraube, German Johnson, and Hillbilly tomatoes, along with old WV half runners beans, squash, and potatoes.

As my house is now considered a historical home by the town, I want to grow a period correct garden which of course would include tomatoes. I'm not worried if these old varieties don't taste like Brandywines; I'm sure they'll be fine for canning (soups, stews, and chili).

With all that said, I'm interested in purchasing seeds. I wish I could trade but unfortunately, the seeds I've saved from my garden this year happen to be the common heirlooms everyone already has.

By the way, one of those old sources I quoted stated General Grant was likely a strain of the Boston Market. As Boston Market was such a popular tomato for decades in Massachussetts, I have to think some families still grow it. I emailed two heirloom tomato farmers who's farms are near Boston to see if they know anything about it. It'll be interesting to see if they can help.

As for Alpha, is it possible that it reverted back to one of its ancestors? I'd love to grow that one!

Thank you in advance,

Steve
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote