View Single Post
Old February 7, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Pepper and Herb Infused Oils

I think I might be struck by another addiction here. Hot peppers. Hear me out...

Came to work this morning with replacement keyboard only to discover the kettle had died. Feeling weary from a rough night of crazy dreaming. Must be the moon. Or, rrather, the cummin. I have a theory about that.

So I walked down the stairs and 20 metres to me right, in the door of the neighbouring homeware shop. Dangerously close, I know. But the girl at the checkout smells so nice.

I buy a kettle, then a nice little painted bowl from Mexico for tonight's salsa, then a glass bottle with a stopper for my planned hot-pepper infused oil.

Which reminds me:

I wanted to ask you experts how best to make flavoured oils. Do i just pour EVOO in the bottle, poke two chillies, a sprig of lemon grace and some garlic down the neck?

I have oodles of basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano, mint and hot peppers. Was thinking of making a basil oil, a lemon thyme oil, a spicy Asian oil? Ideas welcome.

I note the Italians sell lemon-flavoured, basil-flavoured and chilli oils so it can't be that difficult.

Thanks, grub 8)
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote