View Single Post
Old July 30, 2009   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks blueaussie and carolyn.

i see in the links provided by blueaussie that the LB for tomatoes is not the same as for potatoes. i guess this is why the volunteer potato plants from missed potatoes from the 2008 season are not infected when the tomatoes growing next to them are.

i found 1 tomato plant sunday with LB, i removed it immediately. on monday and tuesday nothing. wednesday i skipped checking but today i found 6 new tomato plants infected. it appears i will lose all 11 plants at this rate. i decided to not remove the infected plants that show minor infection hoping some tomatoes will start to ripen and i can pick them, so many are just at the stage where they have started to get lighter green now. i have picked about 10 tomatoes and about a dozen cherry tomatoes, not exactly the summer i expected.

i am not sure what to do next year. i have always gardened organically never putting anything in the garden or on the plants that was not organic. if this means no tomatoes next year, and it's not going to be know until next year, then i may have to make a decision as to using fungicides, something I do not want to do. if i can't have tomatoes then there seems to be less of a purpose to have a garden, probably no purpose. i could buy all the various things i grow and save myself a lot of work. this is the most depressing gardening season ever, i never failed to have tomatoes thru august and september, i have never seen late blight.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote