View Single Post
Old July 28, 2009   #22
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Hye Hatz (Armenian Thin Bread) #1

I'm going to post a few different versions here. All are from either family recipes or cookbooks that my mother and grandmothers or aunts have gosh darnoodley near worn out or actually did! (I've since replaced a few, luckily in the past few years.)

Hye Hatz (Armenian Thin Bread) #1

5 lbs. flour
2 cups bacon fat (or butter or oil of choice), melted
2 tablespoons salt
2 yeast cakes (dissolve in 1 cup lukewarm water)
1 tablespoon sugar
about 4 cups lukewarm water

Make a depression in cetre of flour, gradually mix in remaining ingredients. Add enough water to make a soft sough and knead well. Cover and set in warm place for 3 to 4 hours, to rise.

Make 24 balls, cover with wax paper, and let set for 10 minutes. Roll out each ball of dough on a lightly floured board to 1/8 inch thickness, using a dowl (long type rolling pin). Roll out as wide as the width of your oven. ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ dough with fork. Roll each circle of dough around the dowl; unroll dough on bottom rack of oven.

Back in 400 degree F oven until bottom is lightly browned. Turn over if you want brown on both sides. If you want it crispy like lavash, bake with the oven door open. Do not close oven door when baking. The result will be soft bread which is delicious, but not crispy.

This bread keeps for weeks, if stored in a dry place. If you want to use hye hatz for sandwiches - - sprinkle lightly on both sides with water, wrap in a towel, and let stand 10 - 15 minutes.

Variations/ Hints:

You can add herbs and spices to the dough: rosemary leaves, cumin, cracked pepper, thyme, caraway seeds, dill seeds, toasted sesame seeds, whatever your taste.

You can brush the dough with beaten egg and you can sprinkle herbs and spices on top too.

Before baking you can score the dough in uniform rectangles for easier storage.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote