View Single Post
Old July 22, 2009   #6
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Some softnecks can bolt and form a scape if stressed, such as very cold weather, with some varieties more sensitive than others to climate. This is especially true if they were grown in warmer climates and then planted up north.

In "The Complete Book of Garlic", the author Ted Jordan Meredith states:
"Creole and Silverskin cultivars are in groups that are at the genetic threshold for bolting, where environmental conditions play a major role in dictating whether bolting will occur".

Other cultivars that may or may not bolt according to environmental conditions include Turbans, and Asiatics.

My garlic is a bit late this year due to the cool wet spring we had, but so far July has been perfect - mostly sunny and temps in the low 80s by day and mid 60s by night. I've harvested about 60% so far and expect to have all in by the end of July. Since I only grow 250 plants I have the luxury of pulling some plants every other day as they brown down.

A few Russian Reds and Estonians failed to put up a scape, but instead put out a strange long thin folded leaf. These then rotted from the top down, but the bulbs were salvageable when pulled a bit early. Never saw this before and assume it was due to the wet weather.

TomNJ

TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote