View Single Post
Old July 5, 2009   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Good points, Greg. I'm wary of paying more for those kinds of products, too, when the various county facilities can take care of the cheaper products anyway. BTW - Those red plastic cups CAN be recycled in some counties. I'm pretty sure that Howard takes them - I'll have to check with my Dad or brother.

Kim, I agree that styrofoam is EVIL stuff. Here in Balmer, Merlin, the natives pronounce it "starfame". A couple of years ago, my company participated in a cleanup day along the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River only a mile or two from SW Area Park. The marshes were just full of styrofoam cups and remains of styrofoam coolers, presumably from tailgate parties at the Ravens' stadium. Mud, sludge, and styrofoam cemented together to form new solid strata that you could actually walk onto from the shore! I could see remnants of plastic bags that were actually degrading - in strips, interestingly - but that "starfame" looked like it could last forever!

Still, we have some styrofoam cups and plates leftover from last year that I'd like to use up. Wonder if any county recycles it? If not, at least when we throw it out, it will end up in a landfill and not in the river.

Honestly, I think we do a pretty good job of handling MAGTAG refuse responsibly right now; I just posted to see if we can do even better without causing too much more cost or effort.