View Single Post
Old July 1, 2009   #11
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Tilling will renew any rhizomatous weeds such as mint or bermuda grass.
Maybe that's why there's so much mint. The adminstrator told me the previous tenant had already tilled this spring.

Quote:
By the way, burdock root is sold at my local farmers' market. It's an acquired taste, but a really good medicinal/nutritious plant for soups. Also used in Chinese medicine.
I thought about keeping the burdock & harvesting the root. But it would get into everyone else's plots, I suppose.

Quote:
Given the choice between a standard lawn/hedge landscape and a weedy plot, I'd take the weedy plot every time. I love wild herbs, and I love exploring what looks like a weedy mess and finding a wealth of useful plants.
It does sound like fun. My brother, the biologist/librarian, identifies all kinds of cool plants when we're out in a park. Makes all that previously anonymous green stuff so interesting! Of course, it's been like that ever since I was 3 years old and he told me about dinosaurs.

Angel, no way I'm leaving those velvet leaf seed pods in the garden! They're fascinating and lovely, but -- very naughty. Out they come.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote