View Single Post
Old June 17, 2009   #8
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
I saved seeds from a set that went to seed, I found it to be a bit of a mistake, the resulting plants all bolted, I suppose it is best to save seed from a plant that is later to seed, otherwise you are selecting for the genetic tendancy to bolt.
I agree, and if they had grown seed last year I wouldn't have saved seed, but I figured if it took two years to do anything bolting probably won't be an issue. Hopefully. When I bought them I made sure to buy the packages that said they were for bulbs instead of the ones for green onions which is why I think these are probably long day onions, big box like stores Wal-Mart don't, in my opinion, pay too much attention to getting the right plants for the area. I do plan on getting some potato onions as I hear that they grow well in this area and store better than short day onions.

Quote:
I love gardening with my daughter, the mistakes are all part of the charm, though sometimes highly frustrating; such as the time my daughter decided to hoe the lettuce bed, she hoed it alright, lettuces and all.
Hehehehe Oops! Hopefully you were able to reseed quickly.
That reminds me of the time my now 14yo was 3, he came running up clutching a wad of crushed tomato seedlings and soil, telling me he weeded my plants for me. I learned my lesson and we regularly go out and play guess which plant this one is.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote