Thread: Okra question
View Single Post
Old April 23, 2009   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I'm sending you this link, because this is how I learned to grow Okra (in 2004). I was living in upstate NY at the time, in Zone 5.

I've modified my technique since then; but I have started them in the Ferry Morse peat pots that are 3 inches with no problems.

When using peat pots; I've learned to use h2o2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) "Regular Household strength" that you get at any pharmacy, in with the watering so the peat pots don't develop any mold on the sides; it will help the Okra seeds anyway. One USA Tablespoon to 16 Ounces of water - warm or room temperature. Don't use warm faucet water. Use cold tap water; warmed up in a pot. If the water gets to boiling, let it cool down to warm or add enough ice cubes to cool it down some if you don't have time to wait. You should use a fan on them anyway to keep the seedlings' stem strong.

The thing is to soak them overnight in warm water - I used a small thermos to keep the water warm all night long (12 hours). Those seeds are big enough to use a thermos for this.

Growing Okra

HTH,
~* Robin