View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009   #47
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Man that just really sucks. I did not know this was a problem anywhere in Texas. I too am hoping that those 2 plants are the end of it. I do know that TSWV and TYLCV are not soilborne.
An article at this link http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/...urcetype=HWFIG
includes the following paragraph regarding TYLCV's spread from Mexico through Arizona to Texas and Louisiana:

"After the confirmation of TYLCV in Sinaloa, TYLCV was found farther north in Mexico (14), in Texas (16), in Arizona (14), and in southern California (38). Our analyses further confirm that TYLCV-US:CA is most closely related to the western Mexican viruses (38) and therefore likely spread over the border from Mexico (Fig. 1). However, others describe an Arizonian isolate (sequence currently unavailable) that is more closely related to TYLCV-US:TX, which is part of the ENAC clade (Fig. 1), than to viruses from Mexico (14). We therefore conclude that the ENAC strain of TYLCV, which had spread to Louisiana by 2000 (45), has spread through Texas to Arizona but that the first TYLCV to be isolated from California is more closely related to other WNA TYLCV strains from Mexico. This is not surprising, as two other geminiviruses infecting tomato, Tomato leaf curl Sinaloa virus (12) and Chino del Tomate virus (4, 42), have previously spread from Sinaloa into the United States."
travis is offline   Reply With Quote