View Single Post
Old March 2, 2009   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Look guys it would be a big mistake to get rid of any plants that were wind burned if they are still alive they will do fine.

They are or should be starting to get into the fast growth stage when the weather warms up and in a few weeks you won’t be able to tell which plants were damaged.

I pay little or no attention to the last frost date or plant out times here in the Austin area; if I did I would have very little luck growing tomatoes.

The last frost date is an average and just like any average if there is a real late frost it will skew the data.

As for a freeze, 2 years ago we had a freezing rain and my plants came through just fine.

If you want 40 plants then start about 150 to 200 seeds and after all of the mishaps that can happen you will or should have at least enough plants to plant out early and then reserves for a frost, freeze, wind storm, hail or any other thing that might happen.

((((Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.))))

One of the best things to do for frost/freeze protection is to mist water on the plants, the water is way above freezing and will save them.

I have been growing here in this area and on the gulf cost alone for 30 years and have not seen a worse spring for plants.
I hope it is not going to be this way all summer but I think it will.

It quit raining 2 years ago and we haven’t had any substantial rain fall since.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote