View Single Post
Old February 20, 2009   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlcrl View Post
i am enclosing the seeds that we had discussed. these seeds came for a three pound oxheart tomato but the tomato resembled a paste tomato. they were originally brought back from italy sixty years ago by a gentleman named guildo pietroboni, who has been deceased now for fifteen years. i aquired the tomato seeds from a freind of mr pietroboni's son.
David - one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that what this person grew out and sent you seeds for did not come true to type, or as expected. Since the original source (Mr. Pietroboni) is deceased, obviously he can't be contacted for further information. But maybe the friend your friend got the seeds from would know more. I would ask.

So, to my mind, this might not even be Mr. Pietroboni's tomato, as he once grew it. A cross, confusion/mixup on saving seeds, any number of things could have happened. I think a little more information is needed before you make a decision. I would ask the person who sent you the seeds to elaborate a little more. They say "a paste", not a 3# oxheart.

I can only tell you what *I* would do. And, that is, if someone sends me seeds for a tomato, and it is not true to type or as expected per their description, I don't share seeds and distribute it as "that tomato" until (or if) I can find out more about it. And from what you've posted, I think whether or not this was what Mr. Pietroboni grew is hard to say.

Now, if it was a great tomato, really special - even if not quite what was expected - I might grow it out for a couple of seasons to try and see if whatever result was obtained is "stable". Then I would go from there, before I sent out/shared any seeds or attempted to decide upon a name.

JMO.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote