Thread: Ben Quisenberry
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2009   #19
LQberry
Tomatovillian™

Default Thank you for all your kind words! :-)

PaBerry would be proud that he helped carry on the tomato tradition for future generations. He was very upset when he was admitted into the hospital and lost many of his tomato varieties. He was in his 90s and got a hernia working in his tomato gardens! When word got out he lost so many varieties, people from all over returned seeds to him so he could resume his Big Tomato Gardens. He was very touched by this wonderful gesture. SSE played a big role in that gesture.
He was a deeply religious man and I remember him writing Bible quotes on his seed packets. He also had an old printing press he used to print up seed packets. I remember him saying he 'felt closer to God in his garden than anywhere else'. I'm not sure what other roles religion played as far as his garden was concerned (naming varieties, etc.). I'll ask my parents & my uncle that question and get back to you.
He used to write out poems for me on any piece of paper he had handy. His favorite was "Darwin's Theory Blasted" and the one he gave me was written on the back of a 1983 subscription renewal form for Seed Savers Exchange! I've scanned it, but I'm not sure how I can post it for you guys. I could post it as a 'image' but without Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, I'm not sure if it would be big enough for you to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbrndypkt.jpg (94.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg tbrndypktback.jpg (32.5 KB, 264 views)
LQberry is offline   Reply With Quote