View Single Post
Old February 6, 2009   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

ruth

i get a few seeds every so often that are mostly purple like the ones on the lower left. i have 6-10 from the past year. some times one side only will be purple. i have noticed sometimes the pod with the purple seeds is more purple than green, but i can't say its always like that. the seeds on the upper right in the photo look really dark. thats something new to me. what did the pod look like, and how did it taste? the only purple pod pole bean i grew was prior to 2003. i don't have the garden notes with me for the year i grew it. seeds came in a trade. it wasn't very close to the uncle steve beans, and it didn't like growing in calumet too much. i'd be surprised if there was a cross there. my seeds and pods have looked alright the past couple of years except for the occasional purple seed. i'm only saving one or 2 hundred seeds a year though. darryl jones who provided the seeds for sandhill had something like 5 lbs of seed saved. there may be more off types showing up due to sheer numbers of seed. darryl went to a lot of effort rouging out off types, but said some still may show up.

chime in if anyone else had off types seeds.

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; February 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote