View Single Post
Old April 28, 2006   #59
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

going off the subject of tomatoes slightly- I came accross the biggest fatest longest yellow sweet pepper I have ever seen a few weeks ago, it was about a foot long and about six or seven inches breadth, so I thought I want to save some seeds from this beauty- so I opened it up there was about 50-60 seeds inside, so I scraped them out and put about five of them straight into a pot of compost- straight from the pepper, the rest I washed and dried as normal - ready for storage.

Lo-and behold, four days later- up came all the fresh pepper seed in full germination- the plants are now about three inches high and look good.

Occasionaly I have had tomato seeds germinate inside the over ripe tomato still hanging on the vine, and when I planted one or two of these as an experiment they burst into life within a few days.

The very worst tomatoes to leave on the vine though are definatly Stump-of -the World, they seem to be perfectly ok one day, and then all of a sudden they dissolve into a pink bag of soggy gunge just before they drop off, and they drop with a splat- that send showers of gunge and seeds everywhere- ( what a mess ! ) it took me hours of cleaning up one day last fall. " Yuk ".
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote