View Single Post
Old January 8, 2009   #1
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Default Sweet Pepper Research and Development

Folks, over the last few years I've played around with dehybridizing/selecting some good hybrids to see what I can find, also to aim to stabilize some unusual OPs. At this point I have seeds from the following:

Chocolate Bell (a nice big blocky hybrid - green to brown - from Stokes- very sweet) - both F2 (seed from the hybrid) and F3 (seed from one plant from that F2 seed, which came out as a green to chocolate brown fruit).

Tawny Port (a very productive elongated bell that goes green to a reddish brown) - both F2 (seed from the hybrid) and F3 (seed from one plant from the F2 seed, which produced very large, elongated green to brown fruit)

Early Sunsation (a nice blocky green to yellow tasty bell) - F2 seed (seed saved from the hybrid)

Various generations and selections from Islander hybrid - including bells that go from pale yellow to red, pale yellow to golden yellow, pale yellow to lavendar purple to red, pale yellow to lavendar purple to golden yellow, and pale green to purple to red. I have seed saved from the hybrid (F2 seed), seed from 8 different growouts of the F2 seed (so 8 F3 selections), and seed from growout of two plants of each of the F3 seed (so, 15 different F4 seeds - one of the plants died before fruiting). These are very nice peppers - productive, colorful, and would represent the first OP lavendar, as well as the first lavendar to gold ripening pepper.

Yellow Belle II hybrid (large blocky green to yellow bell) - seed saved from the hybrid (F2 seed)

There is no way I can fully work through all (any?) of these...so if anyone would like a sample or two of the above to grow out this coming season, please send me a PM with your mailing address, what you would like to try, and when you would like the seeds.

All I ask is that you report on it in this thread, and send me a few seeds from your growout efforts.

__________________________________________________ _________

I am growing some of these out myself - will use this area to update my germination. This way if you got some of these we can compare. Germination percent below is at the 9 day mark

Islander 1.1 F4 vial 08-14 germinated in 8 days 10% germ
Islander 2.1 F4 vial 08-17 germinated in 5 days 90% germ
Islander 2.2 F4 vial 08-18 germinated in 6 days 70% germ
Islander 3.1 F4 vial 08-19 germinated in 9 days 10% germ
Islander 4.1 F4 vial 08-20 germinated in 5 days 70% germ
Islander 4.2 F4 vial 08-22 germinated in 6 days 100% germ
Islander 8.1 F4 vial 08-30 germinated in 6 days 80% germ
Islander plant 5 F3 vial 07-22 germinated in 6 days 40% germ
Chocolate Bell F3 vial 08-7 germinated in 5 days 70% germ
Tawny Port F3 vial 08-11 germinated in 6 days 90% germ
Yellow Bell F2 vial 07-10 germinated in 6 days 60% germ
Early Sunsation F2 vial 08-12 germinated in 5 days 70% germ

For those who got pepper 1.1 and pepper 3.1, will be interesting to hear your germination results. I hope to see a few more from each, but at this point I am one out of ten on each.