View Single Post
Old January 2, 2009   #11
Vince
Tomatovillian™

A little better descriptions of the 5 f1s I grew last summer. 4 of the 5 will be taken to the F2 stage and some of you have received seed for these.

Reds:

(a) larger than the rest. After looking at my notes up to 2ozs. VERY meaty, not like a cherry. Skin a little thick less prone to splitting than the other two reds. Flavor a 7.5, grown in 4-6 hours direct sunlight compared to the other two which got 6-8. Red color lighter, not a deep crimson. What we can hope for in the F2: Browns, Reds, pinks from medium beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a purple).

(b) saved from an F1 with Superb flavor solid 9. Deep crimson fruits that are prone to splitting and reach a max weight of 1.2ozs. What we can hope for in the F2: superb flavored Browns, Reds, pinks from small beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a purple).

The last red F1 was a little smaller than red b and flavor less intense, but otherwise a similar description. Will not be carrying this one to the F2 phase.

Oranges:

Interestingly both of the oranges I got showed bicolor tendancies. What I mean is if you picked one of these fruits a little early(1-2 days) there would be red streaks in the flesh every time. At full ripness about 40% of the fruit displayed this charachteristic at full ripeness.

(a) Up to 1.2 ozs, superb flavor a solid 9. What we can hope for in the F2: superb flavored oranges from small beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a red). Tom wagner got a few reds from crosses involving sugold saved from orange F1s. Anything is possible in this complex cross.

(b) This plant had a stuck seed coat and luckily it came off with some TLC. It was the smallest plant (at 4 ft) before it died from a fungal infection. However, it had the best tasting fruit overall 9.5-10. They were orange to bicolor similar to orange(a) but maintained an intense neon yellow green untill a few days before ripening when they turned orange(exhibited bicolor tendencies also). Up to 1.4 ozs. Very unique taste difficult to describe. Did not have very many of these seed so I did not distribute any.

Last edited by Vince; January 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote