View Single Post
Old April 24, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If I have saved seed for 2 generations from a open polinated seed that I recived in a trade. How should I refer to the seed?
I have had a few persons refer to this as F1, F2 ect. But I am sure this is not right.

Since the variety was already OP it means it's already genetically stable and so you wouldn't ever use the terms F2, F2, F3, etc.

Those terms are only used when starting with an F1 hybrid and saving seed in sequential steps to try and get it to the OP state.

By definition OP's are genetically stable and self pollenization leads to seed that is still OP unless a mutation or an accidental cross pollination has occurred.

When referring to a hybrid, it can be a known F1 hybrid such as Celebrity, Big Boy, etc., or it can be a hybrid that was formed by an accidental cross pollination in the mater patch, or it can be a hybrid that was constructed deliberately by specific crossing of two known OP varieties, which is more and more common these days with home growers doing their own crosses. And the latter is what the Dwarf Project is all about with Patrina making the crosses to get the F1 seed and then those seeds sent to others for growout and selection and further dehybridization to the OP state.