View Single Post
Old November 24, 2008   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't sold at Farmer's Markets, so am not posting in this thread, but wanted to make one comment that I haven't seen others make and I'll make it in the thread I started this AM for chefs and retail non Farmer's Markets as well when I get the time to go back and post what I want to there.

Never, but never, grow new varieties in the same season you expect to be selling them.

Always trial your new tomato varieties the season before your first selling season.

And if a variety comes to you highly recommended and it doesn't turn out the first season, grow it again.

I've been posting online at message sites about gardening since 1989, mainly tomatoes, but other crops and flowers as well, and I can't tell you how many folks have run into serious problems b'c they didn't know what they were growing in terms of fruit yield, disease tolerance, shelf life and more.

So when thinking about selling at Farmer's Markets please decide what varieties you've already grown that might work out, but if you haven't grown a variety, do so, so you know where you're at re what you'll be able to offer to customers.