View Single Post
Old October 30, 2008   #43
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

October 30th taste test results:

1884 - Actually pretty good. Mild but with an interesting taste. Acidic, nothing sweet about it to my taste buds. Would grow again. Was actually productive, I just lost ALOT of them to BER. Have to get that straightened out.

Mammoth German Gold - Disappointed in the taste. There wasn't any to speak of. Was very meaty with a nice golden color inside with the very center being dark orange. I'd like to believe it was the growing conditions but it was picked the same day as the 1884's. I wont grow this again.

Planted the garlic last weekend, btw. I planted about 50% more than I did last fall. Last year squirrels actually dug up at least a couple of cloves, and some just did not grow for whatever reason. I made sure I planted both hardneck & softneck. I made a huge mistake however in not labeling where I planted each variety last year so they got mixed up, although they were separated by hard & soft (necks). I do enjoy seeing these grow in the spring & summer.

Should be the last post for updates. Any comments about how boring this was are welcome.

Enjoy the 'off-season'!!!

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote