View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now you are making me look like an idiot or at least I feel that way and I know you don’t mean to.
It is just a difference of opinion.

For one thing two plants of the same variety bred together is not a cross and therefore is not a hybrid.
Sure they may have some genetic differences but they are still of the same variety.
This small amount of genetic difference is what leads to evolution.
I won’t even get into the grafting of apples which is a whole different thing.

This whole hybrid thing has gone too far.
Hybrid economics.
Hybrid cars,
Hybrid metals that were once called alloys.
Did you know they now have what they call a hybrid table saw?
That one had me wooly buggered for a while and after some research I found it was basically a cabinet saw with a smaller motor.
The list goes on.

The point I am trying to make is that when I read that all tomatillos were hybrids it led me to think that you had to have more than one variety to get seeds.
I couldn’t buy this and looked farther for the truth.

I really don’t care for such debate or study of plants as when folks get to talking about certain aspects of it a headache starts to happen and the old vision starts to blur.

That’s why I never get involved with the tomato crossing thread.
I just have a basic working knowledge of plants and animals and it is enough for me to get by in my own humble way.

Many other people on this forum feel the same way as I do and in no way do I or them profess to be experts or want to show folks how smart we are.

We just want to grow and save a tomatillo seed.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote