View Single Post
Old August 24, 2008   #36
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

August 24th:

This morning I tasted my first homegrown tomato (Big Beef) this year, and my first ever homegrown potatoes. The potatoes, as I indicated yesterday were salad size. I boiled 5 of them and used a little butter. They were as you can imagine very 'delicate' and 'pleasant' tasting. Not a strong flavor but that may be due to the smaller size.

The Big Beef tomato tasted better than I had expected. My supervisor has been bringing in a hybrid (not sure which) to work that has absolutely no taste to it, so I was kind of expecting the same from mine. The Big Beef tomato I had today had a nice initial taste, but nothing that hits you extra after that initial flavor. With Black Cherry I am getting a 2nd burst of flavor that is as nice as the initial flavor. That's ok though, since I expected grocery store blandness with Big Beef, I'm getting better than expected flavor.

The tomato I really want to try now is 1884. I have one that is of decent size so far without getting BER, so I'm hopeful. The bottom of it looks pretty rugged in shape, but no signs of rotting at all.

Nice to finally be able to taste a few of those taters!

Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; August 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote