View Single Post
Old August 7, 2008   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I tried to buy some German Butterball this spring and the usual vendors here in the Bellingham-Mt Vernon area of Washington could not get any. Do you have any suggestions on who might carry this variety for next year. The other one that was difficult to find was French Fingerling which is usually available.
Alex,

Getting some German Butterball potatoes, both for eating and seed stock, in Skagit County, would be from Nate O'Neil at Frog's Song Farm; and in Snohomish County--Alden's Farm near Monroe, Washington.

Quote:

Tom, that would be the Adirondacks, which means barkeater in Algonquin. ;-)
Barkeater,

For someone like me who doesn't always know why members use rather funny usernames, I could not resist having a little fun with your name while looking up the clues behind (barkeater), and in my obtuse way of making internal humor, I imagined (potatoeater) has a nicer connotation---palate wise--than (pinebarkeater)!

I left out the Adirondack name since that moniker is associated with potatoes from the NE.

The next seedling potatoes that need a name out of my Adironadacksen potato variety may have these names to choose from: Barkeater, Caboteater, Russet Bark, Black Pine Eater, Bark Baker, Algonquin Barkeater, Pinebark, and many more. I'll have etymological theorist busy for generations trying to recognize that words originate through a limited number of basic mechanisms.

Quote:
What it turned out to be was potato peels boiled in water.
Ami,

Reminds me helping my grandparents down at their farm near Cummings, Kansas by stoking up the wood stove, putting on a big pot of water, washing up the smallest potatoes out of the potato cellar, and boiling the potatoes until the skins cracked open. I never thought to cook the potato peelings like your friends' Aunt. I'll bet nothing got under her skin and she probably did get around well by the skin of her potatoes. If I ever get around to eating War Soup, I will have to buy a potato peeler that wastes a lot of potato.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote