Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Breakfast of Potatoes

Skagit Valley Gold
German Butterball
Red Thumb
Redsen
Reiche
Semlo

Sometimes a breakfast can be so simple that it is complex only in the mind.

I cooked a pan full of potatoes. Two tubers each, boiled in the jackets, and sampled variety by variety with only a bit of margarine and salt. It was only about two pounds of potatoes but with just a cup or so of coffee, I feel sated and reasonably happy.

The potatoes were organically grown and were dryland grown, meaning no irrigation; depending on only natural rainfall. The choices to eat were rather random but chosen for being parental material of advanced clones of my breeding work in the same field.

The vines on these were near mature, and the lack of water for the last 6 weeks made for very solid, high gravity textures. Each variety was unique and I made mental notes to compare with each variety’s offspring (one to five generations) in the upcoming harvest. Skagit Valley Gold was my favorite of the six lines with its rich yellow/orange flesh and nutty flavors. All were good, and delightful in their own right.

Now, with breakfast and a few posts on the ‘Net, I can get to my tomato seed extraction with gusto. I have about 100 or so family lines of tomatoes to store seed from, so I’d better get busy.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote