View Single Post
Old June 8, 2008   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default 2008 Potato Gardens

Yesterday I stopped over to my mother's house to check on the garden, prepare some soil (late start on some things), and cut the grass. So far my garlic & potatoes are doing well from what I can tell. That got me to wondering how everyone else's potatoes are doing so far. So rather than just ask that question, I thought it might be nice to start a thread that could be updated by everyone all season long. It might help those less experienced (i.e. ME) get acquainted with different varieties, techniques, and so forth in regards to potato growing. I could definitely learn alot from Tom Wagner and others here.

As for my potato 'situation', I started mine in 10-gallon grow bags. Even though I should have known better after reading some of these threads, I started at least 2 seed potatoes in each bag. In some cases I planted 3 because I had a few tiny seed potatoes. Carola, German Butterball, and Princess La Ratte are the ones I purchased from Ronnigers for my first try at growing potatoes.

At this point there are several stalks(stems?) growing out of each bag. The 10-gallon grow bags are approximately 1/2 to 3/4 filled with soil. I'm slowly filling them up as the stalks grow taller.

Hopefully I haven't crowded them too much by putting at least 2 seed potatoes in each bag, but I still should end up with a couple pounds at least in each. The tricky part is going to be keeping them watered after the spring showers fade away, as it's hard for me to get over there more than twice a week. And I've read that consistent watering is key as far as taste is concerned. Probably saw that on one of these threads.

Would enjoy hearing what everyone else is growing and how things are going with their potatoes. What varieties? What are you growing them in - containers, in hills, raised beds, in the ground? Any special techniques that might be critical for us new to growing potatoes to know about? Any favorites or varieties you wouldn't grow again?

And Tom, it would be interesting to hear about your projects (I believe you do alot of crossing). Have you developed any that you'd like to see become popular with the home gardener? And how many seed potatoes do you start every year? And how many varieties? I'm guessing hundreds?

Anyways, I just thought it might be enjoyable to follow each other's progress this season in this thread. Or just to share info on the topic.

Thanks, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote