View Single Post
Old January 29, 2006   #1
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Hello, my name is...

Dr_Redwine and no, the name was not picked for the variety. It is simply my name on another unrelated forum that I thought would work well here. I live in central Alabama- Zone 8 and grew up around farming and gardens and the associated picking, blanching, shelling, freezing, etc.

I will turn 40 this summer and have been growing tomatoes for about 12 years at this location just east of Montgomery. I really do have a sandy loam soil here that I have been improving each year with compost, cover crops, or whatever mood strikes.

My love for growing tomatoes comes from my grandfather. I loved to help him when I was young whether it was scouring over the neighbor's pasture for manure or putting up chicken wire to keep out what else? His chickens. Boy, I wish he were still around. He grew and believed in Better Boys. Period. And that has been my primary crop from Day 1, but this year things have changed.

Last year was my first crack at heirlooms...Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter. A friend gave me the plants to set out later in the spring. Well after tasting the heirlooms I began to reseach, and you see where this is going, wound up here. Actually I arrived via the Growing Tomatoes Forum (that I tried to join and never was contacted).

I look forward to participating this forum and already recognize a few members from the other site. Please be patient with me with regard to some of my questions regarding seedlings. This is my first year to see a tomato plant this small.

DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote