Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Okra - One Stem or Two? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8517)

Bitwise Gamgee May 4, 2008 06:39 PM

Okra - One Stem or Two?

Greetings all,

I have only grown okra once and that was several years ago. ... so, I know little of the ways of okra. I picked up a four cell pack of plants at the nursery Saturday. All four plants in each cell have 2 stems ... I suspect those are two separate plants per cell? ... or do okra grow two stems? Either way. should I let them grow like they are or should I prune one stem?

Thanks!
Bitwise

cottonpicker May 4, 2008 06:50 PM

2 plants per cell. NEVER saw double stem okra.

Bitwise Gamgee May 4, 2008 09:31 PM

Thanks cottonpicker! So ... should I let two grow together or should I snip one?

Many Thanks,
Bitwise

shelleybean May 4, 2008 09:40 PM

I agree with Larry. It should be a single stem and I would cut one off at the soil line.

Bitwise Gamgee May 4, 2008 10:24 PM

Thanks Michele and Larry ... I'll prune the second stem (plant).

- Bitwise

Worth1 May 4, 2008 11:56 PM

You can separate the plants with little or no harm.

Worth

GIZZARDFARM May 5, 2008 12:25 AM

Big waste to cut em off just repot the second plant and double your crop.....Gizzard

Bitwise Gamgee May 5, 2008 10:05 PM

Thanks Worth & Gizzard ... I had thought about that but decided not to allocate any more garden space to okra ... we Gamgees don't eat much okra (though perhaps we'll take a liking to it after growing it). I planted it at my mother-in-law's request.

- Bitwise

robin303 May 6, 2008 12:14 AM

How funny, Looked at my three 8" okra plants and they all had two baby okra's 1" long on each one. "I'm a daddy again". No I'm not going to pinch them.:lol:

shelleybean May 6, 2008 07:16 AM

I started mine indoors this time and had a pot with two plants in it. I just couldn't fit any more in. I have ten plants in and I'm the only one in the house who really likes okra. I grew it last year and liked it so much better than the rubbery pods at the store or even the farm stand. Growing your own is the best. I think you'll like it!

duajones May 6, 2008 11:22 AM

I have 11 plants this year, Louisiana Green Velvet in my second attempt at growing okra. Grew Clemson Spineless last year and really enjoyed it. CS is supposedly more productive than LGV so that is why I have more plants this year. Really looking forward to trying this variety. I had a hankering for okra a couple of weeks ago so I bought some from the local grocery. Good, but not even close to home grown.

hunter May 7, 2008 11:27 AM

I'm growing LGV this year, too. Up here in Ohio you just can't find okra in stores that isn't somehow both dry and rubbery. Yuck!

Last year my okra were decimated by Japanese beetles. I'm hoping to have better luck this year.