Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Suggestions, please (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8058)

tlcmd March 10, 2008 02:07 PM

Suggestions, please

Y'all,
In planning my garden for this spring, it appears that there is some extra space for one or two more tomato plants.

My experience in the past with heirlooms has not been overwhelming.

I'm in the northern piedmont area of N.C. (Zone 7).

Suggestions for one or two indeterminate heirloom varieties would be appreciated. I'd like to compare taste against my selected hybrids. I'll probably7 pick them up at our local Farmers' Market or some other local outlet.

Thanks,

Worth1 March 10, 2008 02:25 PM

Dump any cherry tomato you have and grow------well never mind, you cant get riesintraube from the store.:(
What do they sell there?

Worth

Tormato March 10, 2008 02:31 PM

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Tormato

feldon30 March 10, 2008 04:29 PM

Arkansas Traveler, Cherokee Purple...

Worth1 March 10, 2008 04:36 PM

[quote=feldon30;92637]Arkansas Traveler, Cherokee Purple...[/quote]

Yes, you can get Arkansas Traveler at H/d but they don't look so good.

feldon30 March 10, 2008 05:12 PM

Yeah those poor tomato plants at H/D looked so pitiful. I guess they have been exposed to cold temps quite often because they are very pale, the veins really stand out on the leaves. Just sad.

Earl March 10, 2008 08:05 PM

"compare taste against my selected hybrids" ?
Cherokee Purple
Earl's Faux

PGibbons March 10, 2008 10:43 PM

Cherokee Purple, Earl's Faux, Aker's West Virginia, Arkansas Traveler, or Aunt Ginny's Purple. Those never fail for me.

tlcmd March 10, 2008 11:18 PM

Thnks all for the suggestions. Tried Cherokee Purple twice, from seeds once and with plants from a fellow tomato gardener later. Fruits split, bore poorly, and [B][/B]got tswv both times. Taste was not outstanding. Could be soil, but state testing lab said my soil was fine, and my usual tomatoes did very well, but all also got tswv except my resistant ones. As of now, will keep my eyes open for Arkansas Traveler plants.

TomatoDon March 10, 2008 11:56 PM

Everyone needs to try a Brandywine Sudduth.

Don

Lee should have flanked.

feldon30 March 11, 2008 12:09 AM

Maybe you need to buy some Amelia plants and plant them in a ring around your Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, etc. ;)

Although TSWV hasn't hit Houston, I am hopeful that someone will cross Amelia and other TSWV-resistant (not just tolerant but resistant) varieties with something that has flavor. :)

tlcmd March 11, 2008 05:24 PM

TSWV

Again, thanks for the interest and suggestions.

My research has indicated that TSWV is in epidemic or near epidemic proportions throughout the Southern tier of states; and recent posts on this site have indicated it to be present in New England, the mid-west, and north-west. In my research, I've been amazed at the lack of effective means of controlling this problem and the thrips which spread the virus which attacks tomatoes, peanuts, flowers, etc. and causes millions or dollars annually in losses in the Georgia peanut crop alone. There are also a very limited number of TSWV resistant varieties of tomatoes; and all but a very few are determinates. This year I'm companion planting, using reflective mulch, beneficial insects, mites, and organisms, and plan to encircle my non-resistant tomatoes with resistant ones for passive protection. Hopefully, the rest of my garden will also be improved and protected from diseases and harmful beasties with these measures. I'm even planting wormwood to repel those which are four legged. I've got room for a couple of heirlooms, so will keep studying. Thus far, I'm leaning toward Arkansas Traveler and Brandywine.