Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   sugar lump x brandywine (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5938)

pbud July 17, 2007 01:07 AM

sugar lump x brandywine

Well, after reading through a bunch of threads in this forum (Craig's with Tom's and others comments was especially helpful) I decided to try my first cross. Sugar Lump is the father and brandywine (suddeth's strain) the mother (hope got the x in the right place in the title. I tried with three blossoms which probably isn't nearly enough for success, but I'll do a few more this weekend. Hoping for a really good tasting medium sized pink or red that's more productive than brandywine and bigger than sugar lump. We'll see...
Thanks for all the info in this forum!
Paul

Tom Wagner July 19, 2007 01:51 AM

Paul,

I am a stickler for detail and for conventional tactics for describing crosses. I noticed you listed the cross backwards in my mind.

Plant breeders most ofter list the female first and the male second. It has been that way for many years and I follow pedigree data more closely than most people.

The cross probably should read: Brandywine (Suddeths) X Sugar Lump.

I have used Sugar Lump, or (Gardener's Delight) according to some sources, for many years in crosses. There are some important hybrids in which Sugar Lump is a parent. I am not willing to disclose which ones, however.

Sugar Lump genes flow in many of my lines of tomatoes. Mostly used during the Seventies and before, those genes are variously evident or not so evident in my OP's.

I do remember it was hard to get the size up on my hybrids and segregations with large fruited tomatoes. There was a lot of genetic drag therein. Maybe some day I'll explain.

I can think of a few of my lines involving Brandywine types and cherry tomatoes such as Sugar Lump going back many years. Kinda of a nostalgia trip.

pbud July 19, 2007 11:11 AM

Tom,
Yeah, I thought I might have listed that cross backwards - thanks, I've got it straight in my mind now. It should be easy to remember if I think of the x as "by" as in brandywine x (pollinated by) sugar lump.

Interesting info on the use of sugar lump in other crosses. I'll be on the lookout (if anything takes) for larger sized fruit, as you indicate those tend to be difficult to come by when using sugar lump as a parent.
Paul

frogsleap farm July 21, 2009 09:19 AM

Paul, I have a dozen F2 plants out this year and as expected, they are segregating for PL/RL and fruit size/type. With the exception of one plant has a compact growth habit, the others are monsters. The first fruit should be turning color in a week or so.

pbud July 21, 2009 10:33 PM

That's fantastic, Frogsleap!! I've got two growing and both plants are big with Kimberly sized tomatoes that are still green and oblate. What do the fruit look like? Can't wait to hear how they taste. Glad you grew them.

I've got a heart coming from one of the the Earl's Faux x ? lines. Let me know if you want seeds of that. Still green, but eagerly anticipated.

Paul

frogsleap farm July 26, 2009 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[quote=pbud;138515]That's fantastic, Frogsleap!! I've got two growing and both plants are big with Kimberly sized tomatoes that are still green and oblate. What do the fruit look like? Can't wait to hear how they taste. Glad you grew them.

I've got a heart coming from one of the the Earl's Faux x ? lines. Let me know if you want seeds of that. Still green, but eagerly anticipated.

Paul[/quote]
Paul - these two photos show the range in fruit size and shape. I'm thinking they will start to turn in the next 10 days. About half of the F2 plants have smooth round cherry type fruit, and half the more ribbed complex shape. I only have a couple Earl's Faux x ?? plants, one of which looks great.

Frogz

pbud August 2, 2009 01:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Frogz,
Mine are very similar. I've only got two plants, both PL, and one plant has more smooth round and the other more ribbed. The smooth one does have a few ribbed fruit though. I've had two ripe ones and both were very nice tasting. The ribbed had greenish seed gel, while the rounder ones did not. Have you had a tasted any yet?
Paul

frogsleap farm August 15, 2009 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul - mine went out late and are just now producing ripe fruit. Taste is good/great for most of the fruit from F2 plants, with a nice combination of sweetness with acid and solid tomato punch. Here's a photo of one of these beauties (a mini-beefsteak) that topped the taste test that we called lunch today. I need to get the dozen F2 families down to a couple for the next generation, which will be a challenge.

Frogz

pbud August 31, 2009 11:46 PM

Glad to hear it, Frogz. Did you have splitting issues with the ripe fruit? I've found that to be a real problem, as fruit that gets quite ripe (not overripe) tends to split. The taste is fantastic though.