Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Anyone Growing Garlic??? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5318)

missionrandy May 26, 2007 06:49 PM

Anyone Growing Garlic???

Interested in hearing from members that are growing garlic!
Please tell me the varieties you are growing... I will post varieties I am growing and pics to go with it, if there is interest!

Hope to hear from you!
Randy
BC, Canada
zone 7b

caascher2 May 26, 2007 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Randy,
I am growing one hardneck variety and one softneck variety from SESE. It is the begining garlic pack. This is my first year growing garlic, and the scapes are just coming up in the hardneck. I am looking forward to trying it, and next year have already ordered a few different varieties to grow.
Carol

Miss_Mudcat May 26, 2007 10:26 PM

I am growing 1 - 100 sq. ft. bed of the hardneck garlic German Porcelain and a second bed of two softneck varieties, Silver Rose and Italian Late. The Hardnecks have really outperformed the softneck so far. No scapes yet here... won't be long.

Tania May 27, 2007 11:34 AM

This is what I am growing this year:

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Russian[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Dan's Russian[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Ukrainian Hot[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Georgian Fire[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Susan Delafield's[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Lorz[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Elephant[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Music[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Polish Jenn[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]Inchillium Red[/COLOR][/FONT]

johno May 28, 2007 05:28 PM

I have a few hundred plants growing. Italian Hardneck is in the lead to maturity.

barkeater May 28, 2007 10:06 PM

Nothing goes with tomatoes like garlic, so YES, I grow a lot of garlic. I figure you need at least 1 head of garlic per tomato plant, and I'm up to 50 heads of garlic, all hardneck.

Unfortunately, it doesn't last all winter like softneck. So, this fall I'll try some softneck again, and hopefully if I mulch it thickly, it'll make it through the winter here. Any ideas on the hardiest softnecks for up north?

Mantis May 29, 2007 06:11 AM

Gotta grow it down here because the only fresh (splutter), stuff comes from china where it is fertilised with human poop. No thanks. Got a good crop gowing but dont know what it is.

tjg911 May 29, 2007 12:17 PM

[COLOR=#0000ff]I have 48 sq ft planted with garlic 6" on center. Probably 75% is Music, 10% each G[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff]eorgian Crystal and German White about 5% is an unknown grocery store soft neck. The 3 hardnecks are doing great but the softneck looks pretty bad but we'll see.
Tom
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Worth1 May 30, 2007 09:46 PM

You guys do know there is a secret garlic society here at T-VILLE that does not really exist.

So if I did grow garlic I could not tell you.
If I said I dug up some garlic today from stuff I planted from the store it would just be hear-say.:?

If it was rumored that some of us are growing hard neck garlic that Earl sent to us it would just be gossip.:roll:

Worth

tomakers May 30, 2007 11:39 PM

My DW informed me "if you are going to grow all those @$#^$! tomatoes, can't we at least have some garlic". I am more than willing. How about some good sources for garlic? It is one thing I have never grown in 40 odd years of gardening.
Tom

Soilsniffer May 31, 2007 08:12 AM

Secret society. If I told you, I'd have tequila.

What I have going:

Russian Red
Lorz Italian
Georgian Crystal
Red Toch
Chet's Italian Red
Persian Star

I also tried Chinese Purple garlic, but they all died (yep, all 28 cloves) right after that 'killer' freeze we had here, late March I think it was. The other garlic, along with the Dixondale onions and the mustard greens recovered. I lost the Chinese purple garlic, and believe it or not the *kale* died off too. Didn't think that was possible.

I think SSE is the best place to get good garlic. Best selection for sure. There's a commercial place called 'Gourmet Garlic' or something, but $16+ per pound sounds way too expensive. I wouldn't want a pound of just one kind anyway.

J

Worth1 May 31, 2007 01:08 PM

Here is the over priced garlic link that was mentioned above.
And you can get assortments for even more money.
Heaven forbid someone actually try make a living from his farm.:roll:

[URL]http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/[/URL]

tjg911 June 1, 2007 12:33 PM

the best source is the farmers markets, i paid $4 a pound. if you buy locally grown garlic it is already adapted to your location. grocery store garlic really is not the right king to grow in our area. most garlic is from california and is softneck tho chinese softneck is also becoming popular. hardneck is the correct type for up here.

tom

while i thought i made it clear (but did not) this was to the person from mass.

Douglas14 June 1, 2007 03:25 PM

I'm growing German White and Music. My first try at it. They were planted late last fall. One variety had a higher percentage come up, and the plants are substantially larger. I just wish I knew which is which....maybe I'll find a note I made of it last fall.

Earl June 1, 2007 07:44 PM

This hardneck was dug and TRANS-planted on 3-28-07 from garlic I grow for green garlic. Looking pretty good with about 6 more weeks to grow. In a week or two I'll move some soil and see how the heads are coming along. The big allium in front is a Catawissa walking onion.

[URL="http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/v/memberphotos/earl/veggies/garlic+6-1-07.jpg.html"] [IMG]http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/d/4785-2/garlic+6-1-07.jpg[/IMG]
Click for Larger Size[/URL]