Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   oldest seed to sprout this year is............. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50946)

rxkeith April 4, 2021 06:29 PM

oldest seed to sprout this year is.............

yellow brandywine.

the date i had written on the small baggie was 2005.
there were only five seeds in the bag. well, what the heck, i'll plant them,
and see what happens. i now have three seedlings standing up straight, and
two more have just sprouted, i can see the stems poking up. 100% germination
on 16 year old seeds surprised me.

while digging through the bag o seeds, i came across anna marias heart. those
seeds are 7 or 8 years old. better plant them, heart seeds don't last as long.
so far, one seedling up, and another one has just poked through. i had planted
7 or 8 seeds. its been about two weeks since i planted some of my older seeds.
i also seeded, armenian, milkas red bulgarian, and todd county amish. each one was

12-13 years old. double sow, like carolyn would say. germination has been excellent.
i can't say 100% because i didn't write down how many seeds of each i planted, but
its pretty darn close to 100%. i don't get those results sometimes with fresh seeds.
i did nothing special with the seeds, no pre soak, no fertilizer boost, i just planted
them.

keith

GreenThumbGal_07 April 4, 2021 06:50 PM

Hi Keith I've sprouted some saved seed as old as 2005, germination rate was 50 percent, near 100 percent from some 2011-2012 seed. Everything has been stored in the freezer for freshness.

PNW_D April 5, 2021 12:22 AM

Russian Black Pear from 2006 - two out of three seeds sown
update - now 3 for 3 - started on March 2nd

Andrey_BY April 5, 2021 01:10 AM

Rozovaya Bella tomato from 2007.

PaulF April 5, 2021 11:43 AM

From the Carolyn collection sent by Shawn this year Ukranian Heart from 1994 germinated four seeds from 20 planted. Looking forward to outdoor planting in about a month.

Labradors2 April 5, 2021 11:49 AM

You guys are doing so well with your old seeds! I was just happy that my 2013 seeds for Medovaya Kaplya all sprouted :).

Linda

MrBig46 April 5, 2021 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=PaulF;763075]From the Carolyn collection sent by Shawn this year Ukranian Heart from 1994 germinated four seeds from 20 planted. Looking forward to outdoor planting in about a month.[/QUOTE]

Did you use any special technique or did you just plant them in the substrate?
Vladimír

PaulF April 5, 2021 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;763080]Did you use any special technique or did you just plant them in the substrate?
Vladimír[/QUOTE]
Just planted in Miracle-Gro potting mix premoistened with water; wet but not too wet. They germinated in about a week and are now 10 inches (25 centimeters) and could be put outside except it is not warm enough here.

GreenThumbGal_07 April 5, 2021 09:16 PM

Lithuanian and Mr. Potato Leaf, both from 2006. Had 100% percent germination on Mr. Potato Leaf (9 seeds/9 plants), quite a sturdy little plant. For Lithuanian, 3 plants out of 9 seeds sown.

rxkeith April 6, 2021 12:43 PM

must of been six seeds i planted.
six plants are now up of yellow brandywine.

keith

MrBig46 April 6, 2021 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=PaulF;763084]Just planted in Miracle-Gro potting mix premoistened with water; wet but not too wet. They germinated in about a week and are now 10 inches (25 centimeters) and could be put outside except it is not warm enough here.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
Vladimír

Greatgardens April 6, 2021 10:09 PM

I had a 2009 pack of Bloody Butcher seeds from Burpee. This was a retail package purchased at Menards. Expecting germination issues, I soaked half the seeds in a weak fertilizer solution overnight. Surprisingly, the dry seeds (not soaked) germinated better, and most had sprouted in 5-7 days. These were the oldest seeds I've ever attempted, but I wanted to compare BB to Fourth of July, and had these seeds available.

RJGlew April 9, 2021 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=Greatgardens;763112]I had a 2009 pack of Bloody Butcher seeds from Burpee. This was a retail package purchased at Menards. Expecting germination issues, I soaked half the seeds in a weak fertilizer solution overnight. Surprisingly, the dry seeds (not soaked) germinated better, and most had sprouted in 5-7 days. These were the oldest seeds I've ever attempted, but I wanted to compare BB to Fourth of July, and had these seeds available.[/QUOTE]

I would compare Start S F1 to Fourth of July F1. In Zone 3a I find Start is about a week later, but is a far superior tomato. I think you were part of the North American Start S F1 seed trial that Vladimir offered.

eyolf April 10, 2021 02:14 AM

I tried to wake up some old seeds this year and was mostly unsuccessful.

The oldest I was able to do was one lonely Golden Bison from 2008. Most of the rest I'm now growing on are 5 years old or less.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

FarmerShawn April 10, 2021 07:27 AM

I've got one from 1992, and two from 1994. One is Regina, the other is, I don't recall exactly, something like Violceum Kryp. Strange name, anyway. And I have several more going from before 2013. All from Carolyn's collection. And I have lots and lots of no-shows from seeds older than 2000. Oh, well. I am just this week starting lots and lots from the collection dating from before 2000. I'll see what emerges!