Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Tasmania (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48845)

Whwoz March 20, 2019 06:46 AM

Tasmania

5 Attachment(s)
We are on family holiday in Tasmania, for those who would like to see some of our Australian native animals and birds I will post a few photos here as time and phone networks permit.

We travelled over from Victoria on the Spirit of Tasmania 2, one of two identical drive on/drive off ferries, arriving in Devonport, before heading over to Stanley then back to Wings Wildlife Park at Gunns Plains. Most of the photos taken today are on camera not phone, so will post later, but as a tempter, Emu, Black Swan, Cape Baron Geese and a couple of exotics

Whwoz March 20, 2019 06:50 AM

Better add that we gave the kids a treat, one on one time with a zoo keeper and hands on time wean 8 month old devil of the Tasmanian variety, darn cute little critter plus time in the Meerkat enclosure, photos on camera so will have to wait.

Worth1 March 20, 2019 07:21 AM

Can't wait to see them.

ginger2778 March 20, 2019 07:46 AM

Love the first views.

JRinPA March 20, 2019 09:05 AM

I love the geese that look like a widgeon head and bill. I always think it is neat when the migratory birds from different parts of the globe share certain traits with others. Another example, wood ducks and mandarin ducks.

Zana March 20, 2019 09:07 AM

I loved my visit to TAS back in 2010 and your pics bring back so many memories. Looking forward to seeing your other pics.

MdTNGrdner March 20, 2019 09:54 AM

Sounds lovely! The Black Swan is the exotic, to me :D. The Guineas and Turkey run around here all the time! ;) :lol:

Have fun with the family!

PlainJane March 20, 2019 11:15 AM

Fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Whwoz March 21, 2019 06:36 AM

Platypus

Where we are at Wings Wildlife Park has two camping sections, one powered, where we are, and and an un-powered section on the River Leven. We were told by some campers down in that section that they had seen a platypus last night, so headed down for a look just on dusk and was lucky enough to spot it. Unfortunately to dark for photos

Whwoz March 21, 2019 06:41 AM

Campsite

2 Attachment(s)
What we are sleeping in. A basic camper starting to show it age, but a good introduction for us and a trusty old 80 series landcruiser

Whwoz March 21, 2019 06:51 AM

Some more common animals

4 Attachment(s)
One of our common birds is the Magpie, here they have not only an orphan black and white, but also an albino. They also have a very fussy Koala and several colour forms of the common Brushtail Possum. Here one of several golds that they have, they also have a silver and browns are common in the campground. One thing I had best note here is that all the native animals here are unable to be returned to the wild for one reason or another.

Worth1 March 21, 2019 07:08 AM

Sweet babies. :love::cute:

Whwoz March 21, 2019 07:11 AM

Devils

5 Attachment(s)
Without doubt the star of any visit to a Tasmanian Zoo is the Tasmanian Devil. Checky fiesty, aggressive little creatures with a 3000 kg bit force, humans are 120 kg in comparison. They are scavengers who are feed whole animals in the park, although for the talks they are only given a wallaby leg. In this pen there are 4, and they all latch on and pull in all directions. They then proceede to have a tug of war followed by chase around the pen. This helps to tenderise the meat for them. Very funny to watch. They leave nothing of the animal they are feeding on. Communal feeding is there normal mode. They are capable of killing live animals, but rarely do so. Here in the park they have sheep and goats as living lawnmowers in some of the devil pens that are not annoyed by the devils. If I can work out how to post a video here shall do so of there feeding

upcountrygirl March 21, 2019 12:37 PM

Love the pictures! Enjoy your vacation!

ContainerTed March 21, 2019 12:59 PM

+The closest we get to the Tasmanian Devil here in North America is the Wolverine. Colors are similar, disposition is the same, and they can also bite thru bones like a hyena.

Thanks, Whoz. Enjoy your vacation time and keep those pictures coming. It's nice to see the local flora and fauna with first had commentaries. As far a the koalas are concerned, I will never forget the picture of an Australian firefighter feeding water from a bottle to a cute little koala in a burn area. That totally wild critter was burned in a few places, but seemed to call a truce because of the water it needed. The picture was from the time a few years back when there were so many wildfires raging thru the middle of your beautiful country/continent.

And, like MDTNGrdner says, those exotics (turkeys and guinea fowl) in your part of the world are like almost pests that are all around us here in Tennessee.

Take care