Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Why?!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46266)

PaulF December 3, 2017 02:31 PM

Why?!!

With over 200 varieties in stock, why, oh why did I just order another 40 varieties of tomato seeds from my four favorite vendors? And it only December and by March you guys will force me to purchase more. This was the year I promised myself to reduce the number of plants in the garden. I'm getting too old for this nonsense. Carolyn do you suppose your gardener will stop by and help me this year?

oakley December 3, 2017 02:36 PM

About a dozen catalogs came in the mail this week, :evil:

Wondering if I'll stick with my 2018 plan to grow multiple plants of
favorites and cut down on new ones. :twisted:

Spike2 December 3, 2017 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=PaulF;673668]from my four favorite vendors[/QUOTE]

Enquiring minds want to know . . . who are the 4 favorite?

PaulF December 3, 2017 03:50 PM

There are so many great vendors out there to choose from, but these traditionally have been my major sources: Tatianna, Remy, Glenn and Carol.

carolyn137 December 3, 2017 04:57 PM

You ask WHY?

I say WHY NOT.:lol:

This past week I also got sent several seed/plant catalogs for new ones. I didn't bite since there was another thread here that asked all what they were planning to grow this next season.

And I said something like I didn't have the faintest idea?

And I listed the ones that Fred Hempel sent for his two generous offers and I still have several hundreds of other seeds here.

Carolyn

kurt December 3, 2017 07:07 PM

Because you can and want to.What else is there?

Father'sDaughter December 3, 2017 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=oakley;673669]Wondering if I'll stick with my 2018 plan to grow multiple plants of

favorites and cut down on new ones. :twisted:[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that plan... I've set out to do this for the last three years. Has yet to happen.

slugworth December 3, 2017 09:11 PM

pretty pictures trigger the addiction.

MissS December 3, 2017 09:19 PM

My question is this, you have been a member here since 2006 yet you only have about 200 varieties in your stash, how on earth have you had so much restraint?

PaulF December 3, 2017 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;673721]My question is this, you have been a member here since 2006 yet you only have about 200 varieties in your stash, how on earth have you had so much restraint?[/QUOTE]

I only began saving in 1999 and the varieties that are quite popular and easy to find I purchase so the seeds are fresh. Those that have given me wrong results get dumped and I try replace them from the commercial market or trade. I trade seldom since I do not bag blossoms and wouldn't want to send bad seeds.

At one time there were over 500 in the stockpile so I tried to reduce the varieties I know I didn't like much. As I age the good ones I regrow and I gather fewer untried tomatoes. However some of the best have come along in the past three years...go figure. So up goes the inventory numbers.

AlittleSalt December 4, 2017 12:26 AM

Why? It is our interest in gardening and trying something different or new-to-us.

sirtanon December 4, 2017 01:02 AM

I feel your pain. My tomato seed spreadsheet already had 399 lines in it, a few months back, when I returned to Tomatoville, and found a few new seed sites, like Heritage Seed Market..

Including the 25+ varieties I got from Heritage, and the seeds that were shared with me by some members here, I'm now up to 454 lines..

Granted, most of the initial 399 entries were 10+ years old, so some updating was in order.. :)

NarnianGarden December 4, 2017 02:31 AM

[QUOTE=PaulF;673668]With over 200 varieties in stock, why, oh why did I just order another 40 varieties of tomato seeds from my four favorite vendors? And it only December and by March you guys will force me to purchase more. This was the year I promised myself to reduce the number of plants in the garden. I'm getting too old for this nonsense. Carolyn do you suppose your gardener will stop by and help me this year?[/QUOTE]

The more the merrier. :)
No one is forcing you to purchase more... it's the tomatoes that are addicting. 8-)
Be happy to be able to spread the joy. It's a good season to give!

Sun City Linda December 4, 2017 11:38 AM

"At one time there were over 500 in the stockpile so I tried to reduce the varieties I know I didn't like much"

You have redeemed yourself. I was a bit concerned you had so few varieties.;) Glad to see your taking care of the situation! Your fav vendors are mine as well. Actually, I found Carol (Knapps Fresh Veggies) even before I landed here.

roper2008 December 4, 2017 11:46 AM

Because you want to grow them all next year, but you can't.