Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hubby's Tomato Garden (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45054)

Father'sDaughter May 21, 2017 11:28 PM

Hubby's Tomato Garden

My husband hasn't had a whole lot to do with my garden over the years, but he's always willing to lend a hand when I need it.

Today, for example, was tomato planting day and he always helps me get my 8' bamboo stakes pounded into place. After they were in, I carted over all my plants, made my selections (I had two of almost every variety to choose from), planted them and tied them to their stakes.

Two weeks earlier my husband had ordered three yards of topsoil to do some lawn re-grading/re-seeding, and they dumped three yards of compost in our driveway instead.

Knowing I was going to have extra plants, and seeing as how he had extra compost, he bummed some grow bags and a bunch of used Wonder Soil off me, mixed the Wonder Soil with the compost, filled the bags, and then went "shopping" among my spare plants.

I had promised myself that I wouldn't plant as many tomatoes this year, and that other than the dwarfs I would skip grow bags for extra grow outs. So now I have my down-sized tomato section in my raised bed, and he has his own personal container tomato garden along the fence.

His reason was that after all the work I put into grafting them, he wasn't about to let them go to waste! 💜💜

So here's what he decided to grow:

*Cuor Di Bue
*San Marzano Redorta
Seek No Further Love Apple
Azoychka
Orange Minsk (Heart?)
Buddy Runyon
Aunt Swarlo's Polish Paste

* these my husband got from an elderly Italian customer who had gotten his original seeds over a decade ago in Italy, and they are now the only two he grows.

Nan_PA_6b May 21, 2017 11:39 PM

That's great! Now with both of you gardening you can have twice as many tomato plants, & more varieties! He sounds like a great guy.

Nan

Jimbotomateo May 21, 2017 11:50 PM

That's awesome!. Jimbo

AlittleSalt May 21, 2017 11:56 PM

I think that is really cool for both of you :)

Something special.

Rockporter May 22, 2017 12:19 AM

What a great husband. I can only hope mine gets the bug like yours has. He does help me a lot in the garden and he has picked tomatoes a couple of times. He also likes to take a walk out to the garden and see the new happenings out there.

MissS May 22, 2017 12:21 AM

How wonderful now you have more to share together and will help one another grow.

Labradors2 May 22, 2017 08:24 AM

Fantastic. Getting hubby interested and involved has to be a win-win situation. You can have a competition to see who's plants do best :)

Linda

NewWestGardener May 22, 2017 08:34 AM

Cheers to you and your hubby. Mine loves to give my harvest away :), with pride. But graduating to grow any by himself, not a chance. He helps me drag the heavy soil bags and digging and watering.

SteveP May 22, 2017 09:59 AM

That is awesome. My wife has zero interest in gardening, so I am a one man show. During harvest she does get a lot of enjoyment of giving the bounty to family and friends. And I get enjoyment from her enjoyment.

garyjr May 22, 2017 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;641353]That is awesome. My wife has zero interest in gardening, so I am a one man show. During harvest she does get a lot of enjoyment of giving the bounty to family and friends. And I get enjoyment from her enjoyment.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have a plan where one afternoon a week we do what she wants and one afternoon we do what I want. Thinking that will get her more interested in gardening. Problem is I have no idea what she would have in store for me so I have yet to implement this plan.

Rockporter May 22, 2017 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=garyjr;641389]Same here. I have a plan where one afternoon a week we do what she wants and one afternoon we do what I want. Thinking that will get her more interested in gardening. Problem is I have no idea what she would have in store for me so I have yet to implement this plan.[/QUOTE]

Go for it, she might surprise you! :yes:

Father'sDaughter May 22, 2017 01:13 PM

After almost 35 years of marriage, I've learned that it's best to leave him be rather than to try and actively encourage him to get involved in my interests. He does the same.

Every now and then curiosity leads to interest, which sometimes leads to participation. If not, then both of us are perfectly okay with acceptance and/or tolerance of each other's hobbies.

Father'sDaughter May 25, 2017 12:07 AM

The illness is setting in...

He spent last night reading information to me from websites giving tips on how to grow the best tomatoes.

Rockporter May 25, 2017 12:08 AM

LOLOLOLOL.

Worth1 May 25, 2017 07:20 AM

What if he does better than you?:twisted:
Worth