Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   what is everyone using as fertilizer (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44961)

msubulldog May 13, 2017 03:33 PM

what is everyone using as fertilizer

wanted to know what everyone is using for fertilizer on their tomatoes. seems like I read on here somewhere about a product from texas that everyone loved.

Labradors2 May 13, 2017 03:41 PM

Texas Tomato Food and Tomato Tone are good ferts I believe.

I've used Tomato Tone (last year) and Fish Meal and Sul/Pot (the previous year) in the planting hole. We usually add a load of aged cow manure to the garden every spring.

Linda

Worth1 May 13, 2017 04:34 PM

Plant Tone Alaska fish fertilizer and MG all purpose very sparingly.

Worth

clkeiper May 13, 2017 08:03 PM

Hy-Brix fertilizer which is crop specific. they make one for corn, tomatoes, vegetables and a fruit and berries.. My tomatoes have never looked so nice as what they do this year.

Rockandrollin May 13, 2017 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Miss Ariel (see picture) our fertilizer factory. Although she produces year round, we only fertilize the garden from November to end of January.

Gardeneer May 13, 2017 08:30 PM

I use Alaska Fish ( 5-1-1 ), MG (24-8-16 ) and horse manure.
My plants are healthy (nice green foliage ) and are setting fruits.

SteveP May 13, 2017 08:34 PM

Fish carcasses, Tomato Tone, Alaska Fish Fertilizer and liquid Kelp. I did give them a little kick after the Flooding rain with some MG Tomato. Oh, and liberal amounts of rabbit crap.

imp May 13, 2017 08:37 PM

Depends on what is needed in my garden. I do use some of the General Hydroponic stuff, fish stuff, alfalfa pellets and miracle grow, again, depending on needs.

brownrexx May 13, 2017 08:40 PM

Soil test says that I don't need anything so I will just side dress with blood meal for Nitrogen.

Frank D May 13, 2017 08:49 PM

Miracle Grow for tomatoes every weekend, but now TTF.

AlittleSalt May 13, 2017 09:17 PM

Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1

10-10-10

jillian May 13, 2017 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=Rockandrollin;639418]Miss Ariel (see picture) our fertilizer factory. Although she produces year round, we only fertilize the garden from November to end of January.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful horse and scenery! Love it, wish I had a Miss Ariel :yes:

I use Garden Tone, worm castings, fish emulsion and epsom salts when needed.

Jimbotomateo May 13, 2017 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;639417]Hy-Brix fertilizer which is crop specific. they make one for corn, tomatoes, vegetables and a fruit and berries.. My tomatoes have never looked so nice as what they do this year.[/QUOTE]

Is the Hy-Brix organic?. I'm using plant tone, Neptunes Harvest fish and kelp, and I have tomato tone if needed. :):). Jimbo

clkeiper May 13, 2017 10:01 PM

The bags I bought I don't think are totally organic... it doesn't say that they aren't either. the base is a chicken manure base... I think. it is time released too so I am thinking there is something that would nullify it as organic. they do have an all natural and organic one that is 2-1-8 Ca10+S6. the others I bought are also low ratio numbers which lend to the organic numbers as well..... 4-7-9/6-8-9/5-8-10 +calcium and sulfur. the only one that has high nitrogen is the corn formula.

shule1 May 13, 2017 10:39 PM

For tomatoes, I usually like to amend before I plant or while I'm planting, and then not give them anything else the whole season unless they show signs that they need it. I don't always amend the soil, though.

I usually get my commercial fertilizer and mineral salts separately, instead of a bunch mixed together. I like to get my stuff from greenwaybiotech.com. Some of my favorites to use are monopotassium phosphate and monoammonium phosphate. If I were to want extra nitrogen (since monoammonium phosphate doesn't add much), I'd probably use ammonium sulfate and/or urea, but I don't tend to use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer on tomatoes, if any at all (my watering method seems to compensate for any lack of nitrogen in tomatoes; perhaps there's nitrogen in our water).

Potassium sulfate is a cool source of potassium, too (I've only tried AlphaChemical's potassium sulfate, though).

For natural fertilizers, I like wood ash and compost. In theory, I like cover crops, too. I have peas where I want to put my peppers, but I haven't done much beyond that and weeds, for cover crops, so far. ;)

I like to use other soil amendments, like peat moss, basalt rockdust, and sometimes sea minerals and greensand. If you use basalt rockdust, you may want the kind that has humic acid added to it (or else ideally apply it a long, long time beforehand). I use the microfine kind, which I like more than the standard kind (I haven't tried the kind with humic acid added, though).

For seedlings, they seem to like monopotassium phosphate; they're growing in worm castings with a little peat moss added.