Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   And the critters invade . . . (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44576)

Spike2 April 16, 2017 08:30 PM

And the critters invade . . .

Silly bunny made a nest in my garlic. Now it is still to soon to plant my garden BUT a silly killdeer laid her eggs in my garden. Hopefully the eggs hatch and she moves on soon.

AlittleSalt April 16, 2017 10:31 PM

There is a smaller bird with a curved beak that built its nest in our welding helmet. It's not like the helmet isn't used every once in a while. We bought a new welding helmet and put it in a cabinet. Birds carry lice. Our older grandchild found that out after he put a fallen bird nest on his head like a hat.

4season April 16, 2017 10:43 PM

About robin size and grayish ? Curved billed thrasher ?

AlittleSalt April 16, 2017 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are house sparrow sized and dark brown/blackish in color. The beak is black and curved as much as the one in the picture, but it isn't that colored. (The one on the right side.)

brownrexx April 17, 2017 09:04 AM

I don't know about killdeer but our chicken eggs hatch in 21 days. With killdeer the young will probably leave the nest on the day that they hatch so it should not be too long.

henry April 17, 2017 09:23 AM

Killdeer take 24 to 28 days to hatch cute little bundles of fluff on long legs.

Lastfling April 18, 2017 12:39 PM

I'd say it's a Carolina Wren, Salt. Around here they like to build there nest in the strangest places. I've got an old chest in the shed and they build in one of the drawers. Any niche or cranny is good for them. Even had one in a shirt pocket that I'd left hanging.

Worth1 April 18, 2017 06:09 PM

I have these wrens nesting all over the place.:lol:
Worth

Spike2 April 18, 2017 11:40 PM

Well I am not one to mess with nesting bunnies or birds. I will say that our Killdeer is a cranky little ball of fluff. We try to stay as far from her as possible but she still gets all cranky. She dive bombs the dogs and they chase her. She curses at the dogs the whole time. It is just hysterical. The dogs do not even go anywhere near her nest. And she is way to fast for the dogs.

AlittleSalt April 18, 2017 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spike, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I do apologize.

I found a picture tonight of what the bird looks like. My google search was "small dark colored bird with a long curved beak"

dmforcier April 19, 2017 01:27 AM

Okay, so what is it?

What's the link?

AlittleSalt April 19, 2017 09:56 AM

[LEFT]Sichelhopf (Rhinopomastus cyanomelas) Not native to the Americas. [/LEFT]

Spike2 April 19, 2017 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;632834]Spike, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I do apologize.[/QUOTE]

Oh pahleez! Hijack away!! I LOVE birds and am enjoying the pictures. Your posts are more interesting to me than mine!!

Worth1 April 19, 2017 03:48 PM

Speaking of critters I saved an armadillo from getting ran over on congress avenue in Austin the other morning.
I herded it back on to school grounds.

tarpalsfan April 23, 2017 07:32 PM

[SIZE=4]Cotton tail nested in my garden AGAIN...my wiener dog found the nest AGAIN.....my wiener had bunny for lunch...AGAIN....I guess that where the phrase DUMB BUNNY comes from....It sounds kind of funny, but it is really kind of sad. Because it is so true:(
I am a little surprised that Cotton Tails haven't gone extinct, because they aren't very smart if they didn't reproduce several times a year!:surprised:

[/SIZE]