Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   skunk ? night 2 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44356)

4season March 26, 2017 11:28 AM

skunk ? night 2

1 Attachment(s)
I will set a live trap tonight. Would making my soil poor with no grubs or earthworms help ? (snicker ):twisted:

Labradors2 March 26, 2017 11:33 AM

That would help, but how about a fence?

What are you growing?

Linda

4season March 26, 2017 12:24 PM

Most of the garden has chain link but the pest dug under. Actually the whole lot is fenced except the drive along side the house. About 600 feet of chain link. We grow tomatoes peppers radishes spinach beets chard squash turnip no corn. A little of a lot of varieties.

Nan_PA_6b March 26, 2017 12:27 PM

A skunk in a trap will smell awful and could spray all over you. :shock::x/puke

I ended up with too many different types of varmints in my garden, now have a deer fence dug into the soil to stop the rabbits & ground hogs. The fence is about 8' tall but the posts are only about 6' above ground, so the top part flops around a little- and so far no squirrels have et my produce. I don't think they or the deer like the floppy top.

I feed the birds & have ponds, so they don't go after the garden for food or water.

Nan

4season March 26, 2017 03:03 PM

I think I have a good method to avoid spray, if not my wife will keep the dog in the house and kick me out. We have an occasional ground squirrel but no ground hogs. Road runners will come within 3 or 4 feet when I am digging in the compost and will stand still when I throw a grub to them. Doves land but the pigeons who roost on the electric wires above the garden never do.

Labradors2 March 26, 2017 03:48 PM

Are you sure it's not a cat? Scat full of bugs would ID the perp!

Linda

dmforcier March 26, 2017 04:02 PM

Earthworms yay! But grubs eat roots. The varmint may be doing you a favor, and frankly, I see little crop damage.

4season March 26, 2017 04:46 PM

Cats don't dig that much, I don't have any problem with the grubs at this point, and yes there are at least 2 or 3 spinach dug up and lots of dirt on some others.

TC_Manhattan March 26, 2017 11:52 PM

Have you considered it might be chipmunks?

PhilaGardener March 27, 2017 06:24 AM

I have squirrels that dig like that but they would go over the fence, not under it.

4season March 27, 2017 03:16 PM

Haven't seen ground squirrels or heard them lately, no chipmunks here only in the mountains. Set out the live trap last night. No skunk or feral cat or anything and no digging either.

Jonnyhat March 27, 2017 03:57 PM

google "Gammo Whisper" this solved all my critter problems ;)

dmforcier March 27, 2017 04:26 PM

Definitely not a cat. Cats do dig in gardens, but they cover up after themselves.

Gardeneer April 1, 2017 10:09 PM

Get a live (Humane ) trap and catch them.
That I would do short of shooting them.

mrdoitall April 2, 2017 01:02 AM

Looks like Armadillo digging to me.