Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Favorite medium sized red tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44143)

uno March 2, 2017 09:39 PM

Favorite medium sized red tomatoes

I grow tomatoes mainly for my Dad, He likes medium sized red tomatoes. I have tried many varieties.

Some of his favorites are Red Brandywine, Big Beef, and Druzba.

I'm always looking for new varieties that he might like, I'm open to both hybrid and OP varieties.

Just looking for suggestions of ones that I have overlooked.

Thanks

Jim

rhines81 March 2, 2017 10:04 PM

I'm guessing you overlooked about 3000 varieties :))

People love so many different tomatoes for many different reasons. I grow about 12 different ones and switch up half of those each year. Brandywine varieties are usually very good, Paul Robeson has had demand since I started growing that one. Personally never tried Big Beef, maybe in the next few years it will come through and make a rotation.
I'm guessing your Dad is a slicer eater, so that narrows it down. Many great cherry snacking varieties too however.

Spartanburg123 March 2, 2017 10:57 PM

Hey Uno-

When you say "red" I assume you mean red tomatoes, and not yellow, orange, purple, or green ones. In this case, might I suggest Rebel Yell? Even though this is technically a "pink" tomato since it has a clear epidermis, it surely looks red on your table. And the flavor is just knock-it-out-of-the-park good! Marsha introduced me to this tomato back in 2015, and it will return to my garden every year. It is also a vigorous potato-leaf plant with good heat tolerance.

Hope this helps!

Darin

AlittleSalt March 2, 2017 11:47 PM

Pink tomatoes sometimes actually look more red than red varieties, and they taste so good. As Darin wrote, grow some Rebel Yell tomatoes.

brooksville March 3, 2017 07:48 AM

MagiQo!!!

Ricky Shaw March 3, 2017 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cosmonaut Volkov is a good one, productive and hardy with a taste that's a cut above Big Beef and Better Boy. I grew it last year and would have brought it back, but everyone is growing Mat-Su Express this year, and I'm on that bandwagon now.

Here's what my Cosmonaut Volkov's looked like.

maxjohnson March 3, 2017 11:48 AM

Haven't grown it, but Momotaro seems to be all the rave lately.

JohnJones March 3, 2017 02:54 PM

Nepal

Nepal

Haven't grown it (yet) or eaten it, but Craig Lehoullier called it the Heirloom that converted him from hybrids so it's gotta be pretty special.

greenthumbomaha March 3, 2017 05:08 PM

I'm always interested in a tennis ball size red/pink too. I started on a top ten list with a few varieties from Carolyn's book at the top, but I don't have that with me just now when I need it. I remember one is Druzba.

For me , the tomatoes your dad likes are in the med-large range.
We're not that far apart zone wise, and I like to plant a few tennis ball sized to mature before the larger yummy ones you mentioned kick in.
The hybrid Murray Smith put out dozens in mid season, taste though is average..

- Lisa

Fred Hempel March 3, 2017 05:25 PM

I second Cosmonaut Volkov and Momotaro suggestions.

decherdt March 3, 2017 05:59 PM

Delicious and Chapman

WhippoorwillG March 4, 2017 09:06 AM

Mule Team

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SueCT March 5, 2017 12:43 AM

Some oldies but goodies, Stump of the World, Estler's Mortgage Lifter and Box Car Willie (remember him?). I enjoyed them all last year and they were also very productive for me. I was surprised just how good SOTW was. I am also a Brandywine fan, especially Brandywine Sudduth.

Barb_FL March 5, 2017 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=SueCT;623279]Some oldies but goodies, Stump of the World, Estler's Mortgage Lifter and Box Car Willie (remember him?). I enjoyed them all last year and they were also very productive for me. I was surprised just how good SOTW was. I am also a Brandywine fan, especially Brandywine Sudduth.[/QUOTE]

I agree about SotW, I started in August and it is still pumping out tomatoes. Mine tomatoes are big though.

Other really good ones:

Momotaro - Actually a pink hybrid; but a huge producer.

General Lee - Another pink and big producer

I will always grow these.

I don't have luck with Brandywines; it must be the humidity for fruit set for I got beautiful plants without fruit.

Cole_Robbie March 5, 2017 12:06 PM

A lot of the varieties listed here make large tomatoes for me, but that might be influenced by climate. My favorite medium red is a Chinese variety called Ten Hung Tan Chieh. Flavor is very good and yield is tremendous.