Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Germinating For 2017 Season Yet ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43699)

Gardeneer January 24, 2017 10:50 PM

Germinating For 2017 Season Yet ?

1 Attachment(s)
I sowed 15 varieties on Jan 14th. All germinated in 3 to 8 days. They are starting to grow true leaves little by little.
[ATTACH]69114[/ATTACH]

Now this is my first batch, started a bit early , just to experiment in my new location.
I will start the second batch in about 3 weeks (~ Feb 15th). My garden is waiting. :wait:

Who else has started 2017 ? OR when are you planning to do that ?
Feel free to show off your seedings.
Any questions about germinating ? Let the experts answer your questions right here.
;)
BTW: There are 3 eggplants in the batch too.

JohnJones January 24, 2017 10:59 PM

I'm attempting starting from seed for the first time this year. I have a few saved seeds from last year and a few cheapies I bought at Wally World and I'm giving it a first attempt in an Eggland's Best egg carton as a trial run. It's early for my typical plant out dates so if this doesn't work it's no big deal. I have proper seed starting supplies to get serious with in early February.

I will only post pics if it's not an epic failure, but I'm hopeful.

Gardeneer January 24, 2017 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=JohnJones;613420]I'm attempting starting from seed for the first time this year. I have a few saved seeds from last year and a few cheapies I bought at Wally World and I'm giving it a first attempt in an Eggland's Best egg carton as a trial run. It's early for my typical plant out dates so if this doesn't work it's no big deal. I have proper seed starting supplies to get serious with in early February.

I will only post pics if it's not an epic failure, but I'm hopeful.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the club and good luck , John!

Keep the starting medium moist ( not soggy) Cover it with clear wrap, to prevent from drying out, remove the wrap once they start germinating and put them under light. Don't forget to make holes at the bottom of cells. Keep them warm. I think 75F is optimum for tomato seeds. At lower temperatures it will take just longer.

JohnJones January 24, 2017 11:25 PM

Thanks!

I started them yesterday. I thought they were a little soggy today so I added a pinch of medium to each cell and took the top off to let them dry a bit.

I am actually using my oven to keep them in and using a kitchen thermometer to monitor temp. Periodically turning on the oven light keeps the temp in the 75 to 85 degree range with no problem. Sounds crazy but who knows. I like going my own way (to my detriment oftentimes!).

Check this out to see the egg carton concept...

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqoWCdsaI0[/URL]

Gardeneer January 24, 2017 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=JohnJones;613427]Thanks!

I started them yesterday. I thought they were a little soggy today so I added a pinch of medium to each cell and took the top off to let them dry a bit.

I am actually using my oven to keep them in and using a kitchen thermometer to monitor temp. Periodically turning on the oven light keeps the temp in the 75 to 85 degree range with no problem. Sounds crazy but who knows. I like going my own way (to my detriment oftentimes!).

Check this out to see the concept...

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqoWCdsaI0[/URL][/QUOTE]
I think if you leave the oven light on, that should be enough,after you have preheated it. Newer ovens are pretty well insulated and stay warm.

MissS January 24, 2017 11:38 PM

I like your thinking. I use the oven all of the time. I leave the light on 24/7 and just put a wooden spoon in the door to leave it open a little. That way the temperature remains the same throughout the day. Works great too.

JohnJones January 24, 2017 11:39 PM

Surprisingly if you leave the oven light on all the time it maintains 95 degrees plus, so too hot. Apparently modern ovens really hold in the heat.

JohnJones January 24, 2017 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;613437]I like your thinking. I use the oven all of the time. I leave the light on 24/7 and just put a wooden spoon in the door to leave it open a little. That way the temperature remains the same throughout the day. Works great too.[/QUOTE]
Smart!!

Spartanburg123 January 24, 2017 11:45 PM

I'm starting mine this weekend!! Can I expect to see DLH in the next tray? :)

D.

AlittleSalt January 24, 2017 11:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think 75F is about perfect. I germinate our Tomato seeds in our house. We try to keep the temperature around 74 degrees. The place where they are at is on top of a chest of drawers a little over 4' tall. The ones I started on January 8th, will ready to pot up tomorrow after we buy some MG potting mix. The pictures were taken a few minutes ago. It all happens in a hurry.

JohnJones January 24, 2017 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;613442]I think 75F is about perfect. I germinate our Tomato seeds in our house. We try to keep the temperature around 74 degrees. The place where they are at is on top of a chest of drawers a little over 4' tall. The ones I started on January 8th, will ready to pot up tomorrow after we buy some MG potting mix. The pictures were taken a few minutes ago. It all happens in a hurry.[/QUOTE]
Those look beautiful!

MissS January 25, 2017 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;613441]I'm starting mine this weekend!! Can I expect to see DLH in the next tray? :)

D.[/QUOTE]

You bet! But I won't be starting seeds for quite some time yet. :no:

Salt, those babies are beautiful. You are doing a terrific job.

HudsonValley January 25, 2017 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's too early to germinate tomatoes for outdoor growing in this part of the country, so in the meantime I'm trying some micro-dwarf cherry tomatoes for my super-sunny office. Cute, huh? They're just over an inch tall...

Good luck, everybody!

AlittleSalt January 25, 2017 12:17 AM

They look wonderful Hudson Valley.

HudsonValley January 25, 2017 12:22 AM

Thanks! Yours look totally gorgeous, Robert. Mine are actually a couple of days older than yours, but probably a quarter of the size. Tomatoes are amazing, huh?