Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Tall Pepper Varieties? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42422)

AlittleSalt August 2, 2016 12:19 PM

Tall Pepper Varieties?

5 Attachment(s)
Both of these varieties are not what they were marked as The first two pictures are of a 7' tall variety. It is supposed to be Brazilian Starfish, but they're supposed to only be 3-4' tall.

The other pictures are of a 6' tall variety that I think may be Peppadew? The last picture shows a Peppadew on the left and beside it is whatever variety it is from the 6' tall plant.

Fred Hempel August 2, 2016 12:24 PM

What were they marked as?

Peppers cross alot, and if they are not isolated, saved seed has a high percentage of hybrids.

AlittleSalt August 2, 2016 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;583653]What were they marked as?

Peppers cross alot, and if they are not isolated, saved seed has a high percentage of hybrids.[/QUOTE]

Brazilian Starfish

Fred Hempel August 2, 2016 12:29 PM

The bottom photo looks like Brazilian Starfish, or at least a hybrid between BSF and something else.

AlittleSalt August 2, 2016 12:53 PM

I've been thinking they were hybrids too. BSF isn't 7' tall. I'm wondering if they are maybe a cross of BSF and Peppadew? I'll grow them again next year to see how they grow and if they produce or not.

swellcat August 2, 2016 01:07 PM

[IMG]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64832&stc=1&d=1470154731[/IMG]

That looks consistent with Peppadew®. (Are we supposed to use the trademark symbol?)

Surely, growing conditions affect height. In my calcareous (alkaline) clay of Cowtown, [I]baccatums[/I] have tended to be 2 1/2 foot tall bushes. Elsewhere, folks have the same species threaten to overtake the house.

[I]Annuums[/I], for me, are likelier to adopt the telephone-pole form . . . although, never seven feet . . . so far.

Btw, my Peppadews™ are drying on the plant (in the shade), while the Brazilian Pumpkins stay firm, moist, and juicy. Same species; same watering regimen; similar containers.

dmforcier August 2, 2016 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;583650]It is supposed to be Brazilian Starfish, but they're supposed to only be 3-4' tall.[/QUOTE]

Says who?? Starfish are HUGE. So are Bishop's Crown, which seems to be a close relative. The pod form is correct for Starfish.

There are some habaneros that like to take the form of trees. Unsurprisingly they are called "tree habaneros" and can commonly nudge 8'.

kchd.. August 2, 2016 07:54 PM

Yeah, my bishop's crown is a beast. It has a *trunk*

Starlight August 3, 2016 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;583664]I've been thinking they were hybrids too. BSF isn't 7' tall. I'm wondering if they are maybe a cross of BSF and Peppadew? I'll grow them again next year to see how they grow and if they produce or not.[/QUOTE]

I would grow them out next year to see what you get. The only way to try and make sure you have the same seed from one year to the other is to bag. Peppers cross in a heartbeat. Tiny bit of wind, even from you getting close and brushing leaves can send pollen from one plant to another besides all the insects you don't see.

Bagging is your best bet, but sometimes even that doesn't work and you get a surprise.

Peppers take so long to grow, I think the goal is to get one you can eat at the heat level you like and tastes good with little or no disease problems.

I had a Mini Orange Bell and didn't notice it was sitting next to a Manzans and a Anaheim. Plant went to a neighbor who liked hot peppers. Then mini bells produced nothing but cute hot bells.

dmforcier August 3, 2016 12:12 PM

Peppers are self-pollinating, which makes the cross rate relatively low. I recall a worst case rate of 10% (can't recall where I saw that). That's still kinda high, but again, worst case. I've been growing OP seeds for years and the observed cross rate is below that number.

And to repeat, there is no evidence that what Saltie is growing is a cross. It's doing exactly what a Starfish is supposed to do.

Langley Ranch August 3, 2016 12:49 PM

Wow! Are you supporting that with anything?
Good heavens.

AlittleSalt August 3, 2016 01:08 PM

I put a 2' piece of 3/8 rebar beside the plant and drove it into the ground about 8" and loosely tied the plants to them. It has worked surprisingly well so far.

As it keeps getting hotter each day, I'm noticing more leaf wilt on these plants.

Langley Ranch August 3, 2016 02:16 PM

That's simply amazing. I've never seen pepper plants like this. I know they just keep growing where there is no frost, but I had no idea any of them could get so tall. Thank you for sharing photos of your glorious pepper plants!

erin :)

Starlight August 3, 2016 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;583962]Peppers are self-pollinating, which makes the cross rate relatively low. I recall a worst case rate of 10% (can't recall where I saw that). That's still kinda high, but again, worst case. I've been growing OP seeds for years and the observed cross rate is below that number.

And to repeat, there is no evidence that what Saltie is growing is a cross. It's doing exactly what a Starfish is supposed to do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's the first I have heard of a % rate on the peppers. I grow op's as well as bagged.

I agree looks like a Starfish to me too.

Salt... Have you tasted one of your Starfishes yet? There are two Starfish. One the Brazillian Starfish which is hot and one just called Starfish which I grew for several years which is sweet. They both look the same. My sweet Starfish was a huge plant too.

Aerial August 3, 2016 03:07 PM

Check Judy's note on height and taste of Brazilian Starfish.

[url]http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-baccatum/brazilian-starfish-detail[/url]